Insulating barn walls

Lee Brush

I am about to insulate my barn but I am a bit unsure of the order of materials.  As you can see in the photo the walls are semi open slatted, would it be better to put a thin ply barrier before a water proof membrane, then insulation. We have a lot of creatures lizards, snakes, insects, etc who would love to make their nome in-between. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a32b791a97bed9206bdead8f0f9453be.jpeg

The main thnking is that water vapour can travel from the inside of the building to the outside, and weather, i.e. wind and rain, cannot travel from the outside to the inside.

That limits your choice of materials and any ventillation between screen and the real wall.

Ah, is this place in Italy.

It may be the other way around, it depends on the local climate.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

The main thnking is that water vapour can travel from the inside of the building to the outside, and weather, i.e. wind and rain, cannot travel from the outside to the inside.

That limits your choice of materials and any ventillation between screen and the real wall.

Ah, is this place in Italy.

It may be the other way around, it depends on the local climate.

hello Steamy tea,

yes NE Italy so fairly moderate climate 10 months of the year (rainy May, snow Jan, its on a mountain).

There shouldn't be too much water vapour inside, its just me and my paintbrush, it will be my studio. Mainly thinking of the cold few weeks in winter. The roof will be torched with lime but there will still be some ventilation through them too. I have seen a guy who used twin wall polycarbonate sheets. These are light weight and would trap air from a cold wind but could provide some ventilation in places.