25 x 38 service battens?

BartW

Hi,

as per the question in the topic. 

are 25 x 38mm service battens ok size wise?

i have just had a delivery of it (a lot), and am now thinking whether I bought the right size, or should they have been 50mm wide?

also, are these ok to use as battens and counter battens for timber cladding? NHBC states, minimum 1.5times as wide as the cladding. My cladding is 20mm thick. 

could someone please clarify?

thanks

bart

38mm sounds a bit tight for plasterboarding tbh; doesn't give you much room for screw placement at joints.  It also sound a bit light-weight for timber cladding, but you might be ok; you can use double battens at board ends. 

Thinking about it... you could also double-up for plasterboard joints, but that's a lot of extra faff. 

Your size is ok if electrical stuff behind plasterboard, if there is plumbing 50mm makes life easier.  On a ceiling if you are doing down-lights 50mm means the led driver will fit in the cavity.

14 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Your size is ok if electrical stuff behind plasterboard, if there is plumbing 50mm makes life easier.  On a ceiling if you are doing down-lights 50mm means the led driver will fit in the cavity.

I am more concerned about the width of the battens. Is what @Roundtuit says right? Will it be impossible to meet two plasterboard layers side by side?

24 minutes ago, BartW said:

Will it be impossible to meet two plasterboard layers side by side?

As said above that is very tight IMO, screws or nails very close to the edge of plasterboard is not good as it can crumble, as you have already bought it then then use it but double up at plasterboard edges, or buy more at 50mm just fir the edges.

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

As said above that is very tight IMO, screws or nails very close to the edge of plasterboard is not good as it can crumble, as you have already bought it then then use it but double up at plasterboard edges, or buy more at 50mm just fir the edges.

Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke to my (friend) merchant and they will replace the timber to 25 x 50...

I feel d!ck...

• Like 1