Membrane before laying new lawn?

I have quite a depth to the area I need to lay a new lawn on. Approx 30cm

mainly due to new pathway etc. 

I am tempted to lay a membrane down before building up the top soil before lawning/seeding it.

Is this advisable to keep weeds at bay or a waste of time? 
I’m concerned it may cause drainage issues or should I not be concerned about that?

What is the best thing to do?

and is it a good idea to perhaps lay some sort of sprinkler system? I’m assuming you can get some affordable options nowadays. It’s only a small square lawn of approx 50-60sqm.

I thought while I have the opportunity I may as well get it right first time.

Pretty much a waste of time, any soil will be full of weed seeds anyway.  You are best to get top soil down raked and level, compact, re raked and level.  Leave a few weeks for the weeds to grow, then kill them.  Then look to do your lawn.

• Like 1

Waste of time in my opinion. Weed seeds blow around on the wind and can grow on any organic matter or soil that is above the membrane. 

I almost never water the lawn. Haven't done so yet this year.

Perhaps think about laying a duct and draw rope for electricity to any future shed/bbq area?

Edited by Temp

As above: waste of time.  Stuff only germinates much nearer the surface, and a membrane will only restrict worms from doing their job.  Get the hosepipe out if you need to; no need for sprinklers unless you're really precious about your lawn and/or don't have time to get the hosepipe out.