Soil and Surface Water in Same Drain?

benben5555

Hi guys, we have received approval from building control to not use soakaways for the surface water (heavy clay soil and perc test failed). Everything is now going to go into the combined main sewer at the front of the house. What I want to do now is combine the soil and surface water in mixed pipes within the site, but, in the back of my mind hear someone saying "they do like you to keep them separate until near main sewer". Is this right? The site is narrow on one side and we are going to struggle to get two drains together in the strip between the house and the boundary. Also, its a waste of money and plastic. 

Can I just combine them wherever, subject to suitable access and rodding of course. Has anyone done this on their builds?

Also, if anyone can recommend any simplifications to the layout that would be greatly appreciated! Red - soil, Green - surface, Purple - combined.

Drains.JPG

Building Control might allow a combined connection but what about the water co? Do they still allow new combined connections? Best not give your details if you call to ask.

United Utilities (North West England) would not allow us (despite pleas and numerous conversations) to use combined connections as there were separate foul and surface water drains nearby. This is despite the foul going into a combined drain at the bottom of our close. This is costing us almost £10k more than anticipated as UU do not connect the surface water drain in the adopted road and you have to use an outside contractor to do it. 

Hope your outcome is easier than ours. 

3 minutes ago, benben5555 said:

There is an existing connection because there was already a house on the site so we are re-using that.

Personally, given you are going down the combined route, I would combine them on site. I am sure you can win that argument if it came to it. 

18 minutes ago, benben5555 said:

There is an existing connection because there was already a house on the site so we are re-using that.

We had an existing combined drain from an annex that we demolished but UU would not let us have combined on the new dwelling. In the end we put the foul only in the existing drain. 

Edited by Happy Valley