Fixing strap or Fixing-T

Dreadnaught

A question for @nod if he's around…

Hi Nod, for a MF wall, where a stud is taller than 2.4m and so two sheets of plasterboard will meet with a horizontal joint, which product do you use for securing the short edge of the boards at the join:

1. Fixing strap (e.g. Gypframe Fixing Strap 2.4m x 70 x 0.5mm); or
  2. Fixing T (e.g. Gypframe GFT1 Fixing T 2400 x 50 x 0.5mm).

I am finalising my order of MF components for my internal stud walls.

Fixing strap:

Fixing T:

T bar is ideal 

for unsupported joints 

Great for trimming around cut outs also 

Shower trays etc 

Tap it on the end of the board and fix into the studs before fixing in the middle 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@nod, another MF question for you if I may.

How do you line an MF wall with 18mm OSB? What do you use as the supports attached to the studs? Do you use a combination of GA3 and GA4 Steel Angle or something else?

My MF supplier can only order GA3 in packs of 10x, which is rather more than I need, so I am wondering if there is an alternative ingenious way of lining with OSB.

(I note that there are the "Service Support Plates", in packs of 100, but they seem designed for one-off small pattresses, for sockets, etc., rather than lining a full wall.)

You can line one side prior to elec-plumb fist fix

and simply hold a patress against The board and drive a few screws in 

The side that isn’t boarded turn the c studs facing each other and slip the patres in and drive four screws through Or set a piece of roof baton 18 mil in on the flat side of the stud 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @nod. Makes sense. Sounds like you don't use GA3 or GA4 Steel Angle on your projects. Am I right?

Another question if I may: for openings over 1.2m, do you cloak the side studs with deep channel? And do you form the head beam from extra-deep channel with a stud attached inside?

Edited by Dreadnaught