Buying timber windows for Grade 2 listed house

James1459

Hi there,

I am in the process of getting quotes to replace 13 large ish domestic timber windows (slim lite double glazing). We are looking for stained Oak frames. 

We have had a few quotes come in the cheapest of which is £42,000. More than we were hoping for but it is what it is. First of all does this price sound about right?

Secondly and most importantly the window provider is quoting for '2 coats of Osmo oil' prior to fitting. I'm not concerned internally but externally is this enough? Will the windows not fade substantially over time and / or not be protected enough from the elements?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. yes we have building consent. 

Do you also have historic England/Scotland etc consent.  We fell fowl on a house, where planning said go ahead, so I assumed they had talked with historic Scotland, but they hadn't.

How big is large ish? Sash or different windows

42 minutes ago, James1459 said:

2 coats of Osmo oil' prior to fitting. I'm not concerned internally but externally is this enough?

Worked for me but they are east facing only and I am on the west coast of Scotland so they are relatively sheltered except for the morning sun. The wood has not faded but the Osmo will need another coat in the next couple of years which will be 7 years after the 2 coats. Its oak cladding on a triple bay garage, I used stainless nails so there is no staining from rusting nails. Will post pics later this week, one just after and a as they are now. 

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Do you also have historic England/Scotland etc consent.  We fell fowl on a house, where planning said go ahead, so I assumed they had talked with historic Scotland, but they hadn't.

How big is large ish? Sash or different windows

They are 4 piece casements, 2 opening leaves and 2 permanent closed.

Largest windows are circa 2400mm x 1200mm. 

Yes we have listed building consent, you do not require normal planning consent if you are listed.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, kommando said:

Worked for me but they are east facing only and I am on the west coast of Scotland so they are relatively sheltered except for the morning sun. The wood has not faded but the Osmo will need another coat in the next couple of years which will be 7 years after the 2 coats. Its oak cladding on a triple bay garage, I used stainless nails so there is no staining from rusting nails. Will post pics later this week, one just after and a as they are now. 

Brilliant! 

Look forward to seeing the photo's! 11 of the 13 windows will be south facing and we live near Winchester so pretty far south.

Thasnks

14 minutes ago, James1459 said:

Brilliant! 

Look forward to seeing the photo's! 11 of the 13 windows will be south facing and we live near Winchester so pretty far south.

Thasnks

Found one dated 2020 so verticals 3 years old at this point and top just put on, looking closely I had topped up the 2nd from right, column farthest right edges are fading but only the coating. 

1551431243_3bay2020.jpg

A friend of our was in a similar position to you 

He also was advised to use Osmo with UV protection 12 months on he stripped it all of 

Against his advise we used it on our oak gates and had a similar problem 

Expensive and doesn’t do what it says on the tin 

We both have used a Danish oil 

Half the price Twice as effective 

2 hours ago, nod said:

A friend of our was in a similar position to you 

He also was advised to use Osmo with UV protection 12 months on he stripped it all of 

Against his advise we used it on our oak gates and had a similar problem 

Expensive and doesn’t do what it says on the tin 

We both have used a Danish oil 

Half the price Twice as effective 

By problem, what do you mean? 

1 hour ago, James1459 said:

By problem, what do you mean? 

The stuff is crap 

we have all our internal doors done with it No problem 

Exterior It quickly breaks down in the sunshine