Retrospective building warranty

Has anyone managed to get a retrospective building warranty? I had the local authority act as our building control and didnt bother with a warranty at the time. I am trying to raise a small amount of money on mortgage against the property for a barn in our field and struggling as all building societies seem to require a warranty. I have tried a couple of companies and they wont issue a warranty unless i used someone from an authorised list of inspectors for our building control. As if raising money on a timber frame wasnt hard enough this is another hurdle. We are only looking for a tiny amount in comparison with our house value. I would be really grateful of any advice from anyone who has managed this hurdle. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Retrospective warranty's are relatively easy to obtain if you avoid NHBC and LABC, but they do come with a loaded premium as the insurer has not inspected the property. Most lenders do accept them the only issues weve ever heard of is with the TSB, all the other High Street Lenders are fine with them.  You do have the option of a retro PCC as a more cost effective option

• 1 month later...
On 08/12/2022 at 11:46, MJamesW said:

Retrospective warranty's are relatively easy to obtain if you avoid NHBC and LABC, but they do come with a loaded premium as the insurer has not inspected the property. Most lenders do accept them the only issues weve ever heard of is with the TSB, all the other High Street Lenders are fine with them.  You do have the option of a retro PCC as a more cost effective option

What's a retro PCC ?

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2023 at 12:37, MJamesW said:

Retrospective Professional Consultant Certificate. UK Finance website should give you more details about PCC's. They are the new name for Architect Certificates 

This sounds like exactly what we need. Our project is complete though, and we have our habitation cert and full sign off. Do you think they would still do this? We also have an architect, but he couldn’t do the site visits due to covid. I wonder if there’s something he could produce instead? Thanks!

Your architect might struggle if he hasn't done your inspections, he might be a little nervous about putting it on his PI cover. Get a quote quote for both Structural Warranty retrospective and PCC retrospective and then work out which best fits your budget 

I ve used the below they gave me quotes for both and were really good but there will be others 

www.buildsecureinsurance.co.uk