Starting my journey

Rupert

Hello! I've just started to think about building my dream house and I'm here looking for inspiration and guidance. If fate smiles kindly on me it will be a barn conversion in the heart of the Brecon Beacons national park. I get excited about passivehouse principles and local materials.

2 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Welcome welcome. 

Plans and pics are always received well! 

That's good to know. I'm still in the daydream phase at the moment with nothing tangible to share, but I plan to make the process very open and this seems a great place for doing that.

Welcome.

Take this dreaming time and turn it into learning time.

I cannot comment much on planning and layout design, but getting a grounding in relevant mathematics and physics (GCSE level is fine) is well worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome.

Take this dreaming time and turn it into learning time.

I cannot comment much on planning and layout design, but getting a grounding in relevant mathematics and physics (GCSE level is fine) is well worth it.

I'm already technical, with an engineering and computing background, so I'm comfortable with the theory. What I don't have is a practical understanding of even the basics of house construction. Would something like the Housebuilder's Bible be a good place to start?

37 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Would something like the Housebuilder's Bible be a good place to start

Never read it, but I am sure it is good.

I have some old Level 3 TEC books, and the Penguin Dictionary of Building Terms.

Builders like all other professions, take well understood words and phrases, then give them a completely new meaning, often almost the opposite of the true dictionary meaning. 

39 minutes ago, Rupert said:

computing background

Don't get bogged down in technology.  The 'science' f building is very basic.

Gravity holds it in place, wind tried to blow it over, thermal energy leaks out.

Plumbers and electricians drill holes.

windows don't turn up on time.

Plasterers get the painters to clean up after them.

43 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Would something like the Housebuilder's Bible be a good place to start?

It's probably not a bad place to start to get some understanding, it helped me. Be aware its costs are probably a bit out.

If you can, visit some self builders. You'll start to get a feel for what it's really like- pitfalls, sequencing, additional costs etc.

At the beginning you have a number of directions you can go in - location, size of house, build type, extravagance etc. But once you've made those decisions you're committed to a particular route, so the early decisions are key. Hence the benefit of getting a broad a view as possible on your options.

• Like 2