How complicated is it to have solar panels installed on a garage / outbuilding?

MrTWales

Thanks. There are just so many factors. I read a peice last night that said that using 10 degrees was often better than 30 degree for space reasons but it seems like even then there are shading issues without large gaps.

One thing in that thread was the mention of GivEnergy batteries. The pre order options there look way cheaper than anything I'd seen before and not quite as big as many. I'd given up the idea of a battery but it does seem like it will shortly be more viable. Then the question is whether I want a battery in a games room, and whether it could just be added later or whether I'd need to plan ahead to make it easier....

Just now, SteamyTea said:

One of the problems with very shallow angles <15°, is dirt build up.

Rainwater just starts to stick to the modules.

And have you noticed that we've been getting loads of Saharan dust in the rain for several months now?

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

And have you noticed that we've been getting loads of Saharan dust in the rain for several months now?

A few weeks back yes.

Since then, not much rain.

Today we had loads this morning, a proper SW amount.

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

One of the problems with very shallow angles <15°, is dirt build up.

Rainwater just starts to stick to the modules.

I was aware of the issue as mentioned above, but didn't know what the minimum angle was, so thanks for clearing that one up.

8 minutes ago, Ronski said:

I was aware of the issue as mentioned above, but didn't know what the minimum angle was, so thanks for clearing that one up.

Not claiming 15⁰ is the minimum, but in the couple if flat roof installs we did, that is what I set the angle at.

Both of them were easy to clean anyway.

On the West (wet) side of the UK, setting modules flat has the benefit that in cloudy days they perform better than optimally angled modules.

Only a small difference though.

16 minutes ago, Ronski said:

Ok, back to wondering what the minimum install angle is.

Like any water problem.  How to remove the water faster than it collects.

Just complicated by the amount of suspended solids in it, evaporation rates and frequency of rainfall.

On 11/05/2022 at 13:28, Ronski said:

I'm currently trying to clarify whether or not planning permission is required for a flat garage roof. Have emailed the council, but no reply yet. I think as long as they are not meet 200mm height on top of the roof then this is permitted development, but that would require the panels to be almost flat, which is not good.

You can now get through roof mounts, I don't have the link handy as I'm at work, they have a plate that screws to the existing structure, then a large piece of roofing membrane that's bonded to the mount, then once screwed down is then sealed the same way as your existing roof. This is what I'm looking to use, as I don't want loads of weight on our garage roof, the beams are not up to it.

Many roofing manufacturers now accept the above mounts, and they won't invalidate their roof guarantees.

Just on the planning permission issue, some guy came around and will give a quote and he didn't think planning permission was needed (he seemed amazed that anyone would even worry about it!).

The council did get back to be and just gave some general text, including how it's up to the person to decide if they think that the rules are met, but they did include the text below. I explicitly mentioned the ridgeline point in my email but they didn't mention this, which I guess is a good thing.

In regards to your enquiry it is stated at Class A.1(b) that:

in the case of solar PV or solar thermal equipment installed on a flat roof—

(i)                  the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be sited within 1 metre of the external edge of the roof; or

(ii)                the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would protrude more than 1 metre above the plane of the roof;

Also, the actual regs are strange in that they refer to "a dwellinghouse" or "a building situated within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse". In my case it's essentially a fancy shed not attached to the house, so I think it's an outbuilding legally speaking but I can't see anything specific for this. 

The only other thing I'd say is that when the building was being built I spoke to the council at length (it was hard to get through to the correct person but when I did they were very helpful). I was worried about part of the roof extending beyond the wall going, technically, an inch over the property boundary at the back. As it happens it doesn't, but he said that they would only look into it if someone complained and even then they have discretion. He couldn't say as much, but we even looked up the house on Google maps and it was pretty clear that they wouldn't be dicks about enforcing a law where nobody benefits. 

As such, I'm pretty mellow about it really. I also expect that there will be pressure on making it easier for people to install solar/wind turines etc in the future and any council engaging in pointless pedantry would be a terrible look for gthem.

1 hour ago, MrTWales said:

I also expect that there will be pressure on making it easier for people to install solar/wind turines etc in the future and any council engaging in pointless pedantry would be a terrible look for gthem

Depends if you have a backward looking council, and an MP in your county that is the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (last bit is dogging in Tehidy Woods, why they wanted to charge for parking).

Anyone notice his absence on Any Questions last week, was from his constituency.

Edited by SteamyTea

Yes this is the one single thing that slightly worries me. It's bonkers in that if the roof was exactly the shape it would be with panels as part of its construction, it would be no issue as the size requirements for me would still be met, so how is there an extra step because the top bit is made of panels? I'm still relaxed but this is the one point that could cause an issue if someone complained (doubtful I hope) and the Council decided to act (even more doubtful I hope, but who knows). I guess the Council can't say that it's OK given the regs but they could potentially use some words that suggest they'd be unlikely to take action.

I'm almost tempted to Google about this dogging issue....

5 minutes ago, Ronski said:

@MrTWalesThanks. Mine will be within 1 meter of the edge, still not had a reply from the council.