Using spot lights to iluminate paintings from a distance

Adsibob

We're about to move in, our second fix electrics was completed a while back and almost all walls are now sealed and finished, so there is not much scope for tweaking the lighting.

We used an LED strip light across the whole of a wall, slightly recessed in the ceiling. It looks really nice, but doesn't really iluminate enough to see a painting properly. We don't have much artwork, but there are one or two paintings we would like to see a bit better.

One option we have is to replace some downlighters with some double spotlights, with one of the two spots pointing downwards and the other of the two spots pointed at 90 degrees to the ceiling in the direction of the painting. I'm just wondering whether this will cause glare when standing near the painting and looking in the direction of the spot. The ceiling is 3.1m high, and the spot would therefor project from a height of about 3m. The light would need to travel about 5m to hit the painting, but that would be hung midway up the 3m wall, possibly fractionally higher. The painting is about 90cm high and 75cm wide. Would a narrow beam angle GU10 help reduce the glare? I've found 12 degrees and 24 degrees. Would using a honeycomb GU10 help reduce glare?

You maybe a bit late but... do a quick google and you will find much advice even to the point of do the individual items need it and if they do the type of lighting to use.

Just for kicks I drew up your proposal in Fusion 360. This shows you need a beam angle of about 9.8 degrees vertically to illuminate the picture from 5m away. So a 12 degree spot should be Ok in that respect. However it shows that if you stand closer than about 2m from the picture you will cast a shadow on the picture. The circle is a head at average height. Likewise if you stand any closer facing the light there will be lot of glare. So I wouldn't do this.

I would try either

a) a spot on the ceiling about 1.5-2m away from the painting. This would allow you to stand closer without a shadow and produce less opportunity for glare or

b) one of those wall mounted painting lights like this.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/arstid-led-picture-lighting-nickel-plated-20355622/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwgr6TBhAGEiwA3aVuIdjP-m-pc_d7k8eRHRCG7fcQ2AQTLISAYNOVNn10QwQD1jEXBEZQWBoCiuIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

c) If there is something like a bookcase or table below the painting some sort of table lamp or special up lighter might work?

1488754142_PictureLight.thumb.jpg.0ef54296d5db66e9bd40466608c59274.jpg

In general spots tend to produce quite sharp/harsh shadows. Its one reason I buy wide beam angle (90-120 degree) LED downlights for our kitchen matrix. The beams overlap filling in the shadows and producing an even lighting. Yes there is a bit more glare with the wider angle but we prefer that.  

27 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just for kicks I drew up your proposal in Fusion 360. This shows you need a beam angle of about 9.8 degrees vertically to illuminate the picture from 5m away. So a 12 degree spot should be Ok in that respect. However it shows that if you stand closer than about 2m from the picture you will cast a shadow on the picture. The circle is a head at average height. Likewise if you stand any closer facing the light there will be lot of glare. So I wouldn't do this.

I would try either

a) a spot on the ceiling about 1.5-2m away from the painting. This would allow you to stand closer without a shadow and produce less opportunity for glare or

b) one of those wall mounted painting lights like this.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/arstid-led-picture-lighting-nickel-plated-20355622/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwgr6TBhAGEiwA3aVuIdjP-m-pc_d7k8eRHRCG7fcQ2AQTLISAYNOVNn10QwQD1jEXBEZQWBoCiuIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

c) If there is something like a bookcase or table below the painting some sort of table lamp or special up lighter might work?

1488754142_PictureLight.thumb.jpg.0ef54296d5db66e9bd40466608c59274.jpg

This is very helpful, thank you! If I mounted the painting 50cm higher and used a honeycomb 12 degree gu10, wouldn’t that solve most of the glare issue?

I realised that all along the wall where we want to hang paintings we will have a Credenza that is almost 600mm deep, with plenty of power supplies, so plenty of opportunity to put in a couple of discreet up lighters on that, rather than spotlights which will blind people.