What are the opinions on this...

Makeitstop

Hi all,

Looking to fit a sliding door and am curious to know what a "good choice" looks like in terms of closing cavity below sill.

This is a simple beam and block floor, with aerated block inner and brick outer skins.

I've read all sorts of possible solutions to this issue, including removing inner skin to allow for insulation and screed to run up to outer skin, but have concerns over load bearing of screed sat on pir.

What are the general views on best "fix" for this? 

I see that yes and have seen previously.

However, where you have block laid flat right up to your outer skin, I have a cavity, as my beam and block stops at that point. Of course, I am able to remove the inner leaf to allow insulation to carry on through to external skin, but I'll still have a cavity below.

My door sill will be 200 deep, so will bridge the cavity. It's the bearing over the cavity that I had concerns about, as if it's sat on screed only with pir below, I felt it may be a weakness.

Edited by Makeitstop

Stolen from MortarThePoint in an earlier post on similar problem...

This is more or less what I have, although instead of insulated slab, I have std beam and block.

My door sill is 200mm wide for a dual slider with one panel sitting on track over cavity. I want that to be solid and would preferably want to avoid just using the strength of the screed alone to offer support.

Could I partially fill the void with concrete and use 100mm Marmox blocks to sit on top of concrete, so it finishes level with and butting up flush to floor insulation? 

image.png.23fad607f56ef96b6de44de95f2639b7.png

Edited by Makeitstop