Advice for building in open countryside (NPPF: Paragraph 80)

I think we've got our heart set on building somewhere in open countryside, with beautiful scenery (and limited neighbours!)

Although new to self-building, I am under no illusions that securing planning permission is going to be very challenging, particularly when outside of a settlement boundary. After a couple of nights reading and researching, it seems that a route which would offer a chance of success (apart from knocking down and replacing an existing dwelling already in open countryside), is to apply for planning under Paragraph 80 of the National Planning Policy Framework:

"Paragraph 80 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) provides exceptional circumstances for permitting the construction of isolated dwellings within the countryside.

if it is

• truly outstanding, reflecting the highest standards in architecture, and would help to raise standards of design more generally in rural areas; and
  • would significantly enhance its immediate setting, and be sensitive to the defining characteristics of the local area."

I've seen a couple of posts with examples on here, including the stunning design below. - so looks like it can be done.

Being realistic...am I chasing a pipe dream here? I am all ears for advice and even alternative suggestions on how to proceed.

13 hours ago, nod said:

We’ve just start our second build -third 

We have purchased three acres of open country side 

Difficult but not impossible 

9629C5C6-9B54-40CA-BB0C-70A42827BAFA.jpeg

Exciting! Purchased with planning or did you do yourselves? Under Paragraph 80 I'm assuming?

A landowner is unlikely to sell land without permission in principle, because they can charge much more with permission.

Agricultural land is £10k and acre. With PP it  can be an awful lot, (esp in the S/SE  £1M or more)

Therefore it follows that a field bought on spec is unlikely to get permission, because the farmer will have thought of it already.

Nod's way is safe and sensible.

We're 12 months into our planning phase for a potential para 80 house with a few months left.

My advice so far:

- do your research on architects with a solid track record of P55/79/80 approvals, ideally those with approvals within your planning area

- expect it to cost more to obtain planning than you think it will

- expect it to take a solid amount of time!

Happy to have a chat and help out with any initial questions.