En-suite drainage.

We are into action soon....well, apart from another 3 points from the BCO. That make 53, although some were linked.

So I am scheduling drainage pipes and realising I don't know everything.

Outdoor drainage is fine: my thing.

But from appliances to the drain I am not sure what we can, and should, connect within the room (under the floor).

1. rules. 2 best practice

The indoor drain pipes are indicated in orange on the attached.

Elsewhere we will have the encumbrance of tunnelling under thick masonry walls, but in the area shown it is all new construction (starting very soon) of traditional footings and timber superstructure..

Therefore we can put additional pipes in if that seems more sensible.

BUT the big issue is that we will have a prop for the ridge beam midway in each cross-wall. 

Best then to keep pipes away from the wall, but we could feasibly extend the post to keep the foundation below the pipe zone.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Question 2.

When I have put in drains in the past, I always assume that the accuracy of a rising pipe will not be sufficient when the appliances are fitted (wc standing off the wall for example).

Plus the risk of the groundworker kicking the pipes.

Therefore my habit is to put a small shutter round each pipe riser before the slab is poured, then fill with sand in the short term.

Once the concrete is in place we have more control and can mark exact wall positions, tweak the pipes and concrete them in.

The groundworker doesn't agree and says the pipes can be positioned exactly.

Am I being too fussy or is it that a groundworker doesn't see the problems later on?

drainage .png

15 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Therefore my habit is to put a small shutter round each pipe riser before the slab is poured, then fill with sand in the short term.

Good idea

15 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The groundworker doesn't agree and says the pipes can be positioned exactly.

I thought that, measured exactly, calculated plaster thickness and it was out a bit, I struggled to find a toilet fitting that worked. They turned out to all be a bit different.

sorry don’t understand question 1 🤔

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

sorry don’t understand question 1

My fault. Do I try to connect all the pipes from one (or even 2) en-suites into a single run out of the building? Or do I avoid complex connections under the floor and get the stuff outside using more pipes and access points?

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Or do I avoid complex connections under the floor and get the stuff outside using more pipes and access points?

This. It will be a nightmare to rod if anything goes wrong otherwise.

Yes, the advise I was given was run all in separate 50mm (unless 110mm) if possible and straight runs, more bends, joins and small pipes = more chance of blockage, also joint use of pipes might lead to “gurgling”. Not always possible but life is a compromise 🤔