Retrofitting window lintels in solid brick wall

jayc89

First question: Do AluClad windows need lintels? Would the timber frame be structural?

Second question: As the title suggest we (probably) need to retrofit a number of window lintels. I assume we should be using box lintels. Should a course of bricks be removed from the inside and just mortar chased out from the inside to slide the lintel "lip" into?

Surprisingly I could find very little detail on how to do this online. Maybe that's why there are so many old houses with missing lintels! :)

The window would not be structural by default. If you need it to be structural it needs specifying as such.

Assume by solid brick wall you mean no cavity. Putting a window in where there isn't one already is slightly different than putting one in a replacement window (which has no lintel currently).

The easiest way to deal with the inner leaf is to slide in a Catnic ANG section lintel (it's basically a piece of angle), the cheapest would be as you describe, to remove a course of bricks (while propping the course above with acrow props and needles or strongboys) and replace with a prestressed concrete lintel. The outer leaf is a bit trickier if there isn't a lintel or arch there, as you'd need an angle or inverted T section so that all you see is the flange.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had the lintels on 2 of my windows replaced yesterday. I don't have a cavity and have 73mm brick.

The builder removed a course of the outer and inner and used a concrete lintel inside where it won't be seen and a metal angle for the outer leaf. 2 lintels were because the inner and outer courses are a bit different in height as they use different brick and it gives a neater finish. Took him a while but I don't think you can tell it wasn't always like that.

<I need to look at the posting dates before replying...>

Edited by FrankHouse
note added