Blower and Control Installation

Ralph

The installer for our Klargester BioFicient has let us down (long story) Basically the unit is in the ground with the pipes and power cable in the ducting and above ground waiting to be connected.

I have the blower, control box and housing ready to go.

Looking at the installation manual the blower housing should be sitting on a concrete plinth but the installer has put down gravel.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to connect the blower and the control box and should it definitely be on a concrete plinth?

Many thanks

I self installed our plant blower etc (vortex) and it’s dead simple. I mounted my blower box on gravel, below ground to hide it and the gravel is to stop flooding the unit in case of heavy rain etc. 

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I self installed our plant blower etc (vortex) and it’s dead simple. I mounted my blower box on gravel, below ground to hide it and the gravel is to stop flooding the unit in case of heavy rain etc. 

Did you get someone in to commission it or certify it?

37 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Ours is sat on a concrete slab (3x2) and half covered in soil.  The soil has certainly reduced the noise (added benefit).

Do you mind telling me who did the installation?

44 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Did you get someone in to commission it or certify it?

Yes, a local company and the chap actually had a vortex himself. He just balanced the blower as it’s adjustable

8 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I did the install, but had contractors digging the hole for treatment plant.

Sorry for the questions but did you put in a solenoid to switch between the sludge return hose and the air diffuser? I've been told that the solenoids are more trouble than they are worth and not to use one. I'm assuming that would mean either putting both hoses on to a single manifold so they are both blowing all the time or not bothering connecting the sludge return?

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

Sorry for the questions but did you put in a solenoid to switch between the sludge return hose and the air diffuser? I've been told that the solenoids are more trouble than they are worth and not to use one. I'm assuming that would mean either putting both hoses on to a single manifold so they are both blowing all the time or not bothering connecting the sludge return?

The Vortex comes with a timer that switches between the two, no idea about your Klargester 🤷‍♂️, what does the instal manual say?

13 hours ago, joe90 said:

The Vortex comes with a timer that switches between the two, no idea about your Klargester 🤷‍♂️, what does the instal manual say?

The manual says to fit a solenoid, talking someone who services them and they say not to bother with the solenoid as they often go wrong, better to fit a tee piece. I think I'll give that a go. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

If a solenoid is required for the install, it should have been supplied along with the plant. Are the unit's efficiency numbers quoted with or without said valve?

The supplier basically walked off the job and took some of the equipment. I asked Kingspan what I needed and they gave me a list that did not include the solenoid. 

45 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I can’t understand what this solenoid is for ? Have you got a link to the instal instructions?

The manual is not the best but as far as I can tell the blower comes on for 5 minutes every hour. For 4 of those minutes it blows down the 19mm diffuser hose to the main part of the tank. The solenoid is then switched and for 1 minute it blows down the 13mm sludge return system hose.

image.thumb.png.48f2fca71e1477bfbf340ab788c60526.png

According to the website:

"3. The final settlement tank is where the excess biomass settles to form sludge. At preset intervals, portions of the sludge and liquor are returned to the primary tank for additional treatment."

however excess implies there was "too much" in the previous stage chamber. Why would it need to be sent back for additional treatment unless somehow harmful to the outflow? I'd be going back to Kingspan for a WRITTEN response on this as if SEPA got wind of a non-compliant install someone could be in a world of pain...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

According to the website:

"3. The final settlement tank is where the excess biomass settles to form sludge. At preset intervals, portions of the sludge and liquor are returned to the primary tank for additional treatment."

however excess implies there was "too much" in the previous stage chamber. Why would it need to be sent back for additional treatment unless somehow harmful to the outflow? I'd be going back to Kingspan for a WRITTEN response on this as if SEPA got wind of a non-compliant install someone could be in a world of pain...

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get another installer to come up and sort it out. We are moving in at the end of the month and there's a ton of stuff to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ralph said:

The manual is not the best but as far as I can tell the blower comes on for 5 minutes every hour. For 4 of those minutes it blows down the 19mm diffuser hose to the main part of the tank. The solenoid is then switched and for 1 minute it blows down the 13mm sludge return system hose.

That’s a short “on” time? Mine is on 24/7. Discussions have taken place on timers to reduce “on” time. Thoughts anyone 🤔