Improving social housing

HughF

My in-laws live in social housing, have done since forever, and are, unfortunately going to be adversely affected by the energy price cap. We will obviously help wherever we can (we are kid/mortgage free and I make decent coin), but a discussion with my wife last night has got me thinking.

What policies are in place to encourage social housing providers to improve the housing stock under their ownership? They live in a terraced stone cottage in the middle of Frome, and don't have double glazing. They have a gas combi boiler but I don't know if it is setup for weather comp. The property is obviously inhabited 24/7 and they are often up well into the night due to sleep issues. With some improvements to building fabric and some adjustments to the heating system (increasing emitter sizes and reducing flow temp) I think we could get the bills down a bit.

I'm thinking of sending an email to Aster to enquire about their policy for improvement of housing stock, but I would welcome peoples thoughts on this little predicament.

@HughF, My builder had a bad stroke after finishing my build and will never work again, he and his wife live in a rented bungalow with storage heaters, they have just been offered additional loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and new electric heaters (E7) all through a gov dept, I can find out how/who are offering this if you wish?

Just now, joe90 said:

@HughF, My builder had a bad stroke after finishing my build and will never work again, he and his wife live in a rented bungalow with storage heaters, they have just been offered additional loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and new electric heaters (E7) all through a gov dept, I can find out how/who are offering this if you wish?

I'd be interested to find out, yes, thanks. Are they in social rented or the private rental sector?