Cedral lap cladding and wind noise

Has anyone experienced issues?

We have timber frame construction with blind fixed Cedral lap and with all the wind lately it’s becoming almost unbearable!

In the past I’ve had a go at improving it working off a ladder running a bead of mastic between the planks helped a little bit on the worst offenders but it’s still really noisy from wind causing vibration. Tempted to go whole hog and re scaffold and perhaps face fix in addition, although this is advised against in the Marley installation docs.

Any comments welcome, even if it’s to say “should have brick skinned it” or just gone with traditional brick and block construction which is something I often think about! …next time perhaps.

Cheers 

Yeah we had this, once the wind got underneath a few of them, during the last storm, they were ripped off and snapped in half.

We've face fixed them on with screws and are going to fill and paint.

I wish we had gone with real wood and just painted every few years. Cedral is easily scratched if you have trades that are as cack handed as some of the ones we've had.

On top of that we are getting efflorescence and Cedral themselves are of little help.

Hi Ralph, thanks for your reply and sorry to hear about your issues! What colour is yours?

Mines C05 grey and is ok bar some green growth appearing…I guess there’s no such thing as maintenance free so like you say, perhaps thermowood cladding might have been a good idea. Don’t get me started on crack handed trades, paint from the cut edges all over my soffit!

I think I’ll look at hiring something to get me up there and go belts and braces with continuous bead of something really sticky and face fix in a few places…hopefully it won’t be too noticeable as it is quite high up.

Cheers Simon, hopefully your job turns out well, are you doing on a timber frame build?

I’ve used that in my bathroom actually and it’s good stuff…probably too good for this job especially as there’s some serious meterage…tbh you can’t actually see it because the nozzle goes between the boards slightly and wipe away excess.

Also tempted to use a nail gun with stainless ring shanks to pin the bottom edge of the board to the next one.

I actually managed to get a video of the boards moving in the wind today, I’ll see if I can upload it to YouTube and put the link up if anyone’s interested?