Is insulation designed to keep heat in one way?

JKami84

Hi, I partitioned my garage to create a utility space. A stud wall has been put up.

Because the stud wall is filled with wiring for light switches and plugs - my builder decided to use isover cavity wall system 36 as oppose to celotex which he has used on external walls. 50mm thickness.

He tells me it should make no difference to me... 

Maybe i'm being pedantic but The lamba value of this is 0.036 as oppose to celotex which is 0.022... at 50mm, makes the R 1.38 rather than 2.27.

The stud wall had to be this thickness max as its fitted between windows and electric meters, etc. at the edges

However, the majority of stud wall can be thicker if I wanted it to be. So I am wondering that if I were to dab on further celotex on the garage side (non-visible), like 50mm, or 75mm... would this make a difference to keeping more warmth in the utility section. I can't go to edges of the stud wall.

In theory the same thickness wool will loose about 50% more heat than the PIR.  However at 50mm the insulation value is not very good.  Are you sure you comply with building regs? Even on the external walls?

What size studs are you using?

As simple sketch may help.

6 x 4 cm laths were used to create the stud wall. 

I am probably a so way way off from building regs. so much so I'm not going to give myself the headache because i've put 1 stud wall half way in my garage to try create a warmer place to keep my washing machine.