Truck Floor Re-line....

My 2010 Renault Master needs a new floor in the pickup bed...

20220328_173510.thumb.jpg.3613bbef79cf8ba5a045ef9c3292e647.jpg

Any suggestions on what I can re-line it with? I understand Phenolic Resin Birch Plywood is the 'right' stuff, same principle as a trailer, but I cannot easily find it in a size that would allow me to do this in one piece. Should I worry about having joins?

The measurement is 3015x1855mm, so doesn't suit 8x4 sheets very well at all.

Any other ideas?

The phenolic ply is good stuff but large sheets are bulk ordered by body builders. 
no problem with a joint, use an off cut underneath the joint to beef it up. Bitumen paint on any sawn edges to stop water getting in.

existing bed looks like plain exterior ply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markc said:

The phenolic ply is good stuff but large sheets are bulk ordered by body builders. 
no problem with a joint, use an off cut underneath the joint to beef it up. Bitumen paint on any sawn edges to stop water getting in.

existing bed looks like plain exterior ply.

Yeah, it's so worn it's hard to tell what it was!

We're just starting our build, this truck will probably carry loose aggregates that will get shovelled off, you think I'd be better with Marine Ply and just replace it again when I'm done with it? Will the Phenolic damage easily with the shovels?

15 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

Yeah, it's so worn it's hard to tell what it was!

We're just starting our build, this truck will probably carry loose aggregates that will get shovelled off, you think I'd be better with Marine Ply and just replace it again when I'm done with it? Will the Phenolic damage easily with the shovels?

Hi, if you will be shovelling then I would stay away from Phenolic, a lot of the stuff now sits on the surface of the ply and once chipped it peels away easily.

I would go with ply. A skin galvanised steel would work if it was in one piece but joins soon lift and then shovelling is a pain.

as it’s an older truck just drop a ply topper on, leave the existing in place to screw to. Loads of screws and you will be sorted

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

If you're going to mess it up shoveling stone, does it really need done *now* or would it do as-is until later (and cleaner) into the build?

Though it's a very low mileage truck (45k), I knew the bed was a bit ropey when I bought it. I had hoped it'd get me through the build. The corners have turned up pretty badly....

20220328_173521.thumb.jpg.86930cd353b3ca59935d66dd37457d0a.jpg