Foundation ill design?

BartW

Hi All,

About to start on site, but having a moment of rethink on the foundation to timber frame detail.

I specified a 140mm dense block + kicker to marry up with 140mm TF. 

I then planned on vertical 2"x2" and 2"x2" horizontals, to then accept 20mm charred larch. This was to create a big enough cavity to hide gutter pipes from various parts of the roof.

At the foot of the above was going to be a 102mm black facing brick.

I am now thinking that I have made a rather expensive mistake by doubling my rain screen cladding timber supply cost about £900 + VAT in excess of what it could be with standard 1"x 2" battens, and £1300 + VAT in external brick skin supply cost, and associated labour to at least £2k + VAT worth...

At the same time, changing the design and messing with the paperwork / planning / mortgage / solicitors is likely to cost as much.

Should I just:

- use standard timbers and create a chamfered flashing detail above (now) proud external brick face?

- or just not change and live with it?

Thanks!

Bart

1162946241_Screenshot2022-03-28at11_39_45.thumb.png.1d1e11354c8ff8cda807bdf0c3edae56.png

I don't know why this should have any impact on mortgage, solicitors etc.

You could revert to 2 x 1 and use a plinth stretcher on your brick courses to manage the transition.  Check the cost, though.  Could be expensive depending on the brick.

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I don't know why this should have any impact on mortgage, solicitors etc.

You could revert to 2 x 1 and use a plinth stretcher on your brick courses to manage the transition.  Check the cost, though.  Could be expensive depending on the brick.

Our build is at Graven Hill, and the foundation has to be delivered exactly as per the design.

The stretcher bricks are what I have considered, but I would need 220no @ £2 each, so about cost neutral with the omission of the 2" timbers.

I suppose my direct point is that I designed a foundation facing brick plinth that does nothing other than cost me money. 

I wish I had realised earlier, but I suppose these things do happen...