July 2021 - March 2022 Electricity Use - Feedback on ASHP and Octopus Go Faster

Hi

After receiving our Octopus statement I thought I'd report back on our energy use with our ASHP and Octopus Go Faster. As anyone knows it took me a long time to get settings that worked well and our external insulation definitely helped.

I can now give figures of our electricity use from 3 July 2021 until 3 March 2022. 

In total we have used 5,215.80kWh over the 200 days of which 2469.70kWh has been at our cheap Octopus Go Faster rate of 5.5p between the hours of 20:30-01:30, the remaining is at 14.63p. The Standing Charge is 25p a day. We found in summer our use was very little, between 3-4 units a day. We completely programmed the DHW off on the ASHP as our solar was diverting excess to our large tank.

Our heating is controlled by the thermostats. Rooms are set as a minimum of 21 degrees (our bedroom is the exception at 20.5 degrees as I don't like to sleep too warm) with the whole house consistently heated even rooms we aren't consistently using like bedroom/ensuite. During the Octopus cheap times the temperature raises up to about 22-23 degrees in some rooms (those we use often) which means they generally stay warm, tripping in early morning on some cold days. The hot water is similarly programmed in to trip in at 8:30pm during the cheap tarrif for a couple of hours if it isn't at 48 degrees although the solar has generally got this way over, particular recently.

On days we had temperatures go below freezing with some very cold days we were using around 35-40 units just on our heating and hot water but in the main this has been in the cheap times. We also have a wood burner and the free wood we have been storing from CRT cutting down trees in the storms definitely comes in useful. With us still experiencing some frosts we have had heating kicking in again recently overnight though days have been fine.

Overall we have made the Octopus Go Faster Tarrif work for us and the heat pump is programmed to suit this. Had we not got specific times of cheap electricity I may use the ASHP slightly differently but either way we are warm and generally pleased with things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Can you let us know of any changes to your tariff in April, Thank you.

There hasn't been any change, I think our fix must have been for longer as we seem to have stayed on the same one I signed up for last February and it now says it's fixed again until March next year which is a relief.

1169118805_Screenshot_2022-03-27-13-49-26-759_com.android.chrome2.thumb.jpg.d78a4073b4c60010b0211624849722d4.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Thanks 1