Disconnected flexi liner: installer OR the sweep?

pinder

Hi

I would really appreciate the opinion of experienced wood burner installers (or chimney sweeps!) on this one.
A year after having our burning installed we arranged a sweep. After 5 mins of work, the sweep said the flexi liner was not attached to the the pipe coming out of the top of the burner and was hanging freely (they showed me on their camera). They did not imply it had just happened and that it could have been like this for weeks/months.
When the installer came round, he was unsure why this had happened but showed me that the flexi liner was utterly soot ridden and so it is likely to have only happened recently (e.g. such as 2 days earlier when the sweep was here!?!).
My question to experienced installers is, in your experience, (a) is it possible for a sweep to cause the liner to come away from the burner (b) and if it is, should I be concerned by the installers original work (i.e. should this never happen) or should I more see it as an over vigorous (and possibly dishonest) sweep?
Many thanks