Hello. New member looking to self build

Omnia

Hello,

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

Looking to move to Hertfordshire area, Cheshunt/Broxbourne/Ware/Hoddesdon.

Gutted that I lost at an opportunity last week. Found a plot of land consisting of 740 m2 with an already built detached bungalow however it was sold to the neighbour so the agent had to take it off the market.

I'm green in this sense so any help to guide and suggestions of how I can find my plot of land are most welcome.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Omnia said:

I'm green in this sense so any help to guide and suggestions of how I can find my plot of land are most welcome.

Hi and welcome.

The NSBRC have some good seminars / webinars etc on finding ( and appraising ) plots. May be worth a look on their website for more info ;) 

• Like 1

Welcome

When asked about securing a plot I always answer in the same way 

Be ready financially

in our first plot purchase We we’re the lowest of three offers 

But the only one that was ready to commit 

Our second and third fell into our lap via a friend 

The two neighbors came up with a much better offer 

But took to long The deal had already been done 

In my experience most plot owners have either just gained PP and want to cash in Or need to raise fund via the sale In any case plot sellers are more impatient than house sellers 

Good luck with your search 

I found a 2 acre equestrian land (recently converted from agricultural land). It has a new barn being constructed yet not completed. This is in a green belt area. The question is, can I convert the barn to a residential building and/or what are my chances for a single separate residential building. Note; it has access to main road already granted. Thanks for any advice. 

On 16/03/2022 at 22:43, Omnia said:

Persistence.

6 hours ago, Omnia said:

... The question is, can I convert the barn to a residential building and/or what are my chances for a single separate residential building. Note; it has access to main road already granted. Thanks for any advice. 

My guess is that that's highly unlikely.  I say that because the question you ask is common on BH.  And so is my reply. However, my answer  has no authority at all..

But your local council's Planning Department website is your friend.  If you can show that - locally - others have been allowed to do that, or something similar, then you are in with a chance. I suggest you look through their website anyway to try and find  projects which are similar to the one you'd like to complete.  

Good luck: stick with it.