Young family self-building in Shropshire

TheSalopian

Hi All,

We're a young family looking to build in Shropshire - currently having difficulty finding land, we're reading Roy Speer' "How to find and buy a building plot" which has been recommended here. Have been searching for a plot for approx 18 months, nothing has come up yet but we're still hopeful.

One question I did have for the forum; we've got tickets to go to the National Homebuilding and Renovating Show at the NEC Birmingham in a few weeks - is it worth going even though we haven'r bought/found a plot? I'd rather not waste time visiting if all the exhibitors/advisors are going to say we need land before we can discuss anything.

Cheers,

We looked for seven years for our first 

Then the next two fell in our lap after looking for 12 months 

The main thing is to be ready financially Good plots at a good price are rarely on the market for long 

The NEC build show is by far the biggest and best of all the trade shows 

and definitely worth visiting 

There will be people attending that haven’t fully decided if self build is for them 

The exhibitors understand this and realize they are laying groundwork for future sales 

Good luck with your search 

Hi and welcome

I have been looking around Yorkshire for well over 2 years now and still nothing suitable. Every time I see a plot come up for sale it has planning for multiple sleeping boxes (really can’t bring myself to calling them homes or houses).

but there is something out there, somewhere.

keep a look out, tell everyone you meet that you are looking and be ready to act when the opportunity arises.

Edited by markc

The NEC show is good for ideas and they will all talk to you. It also helps you when looking at plots as you can start to visualise what you do and don’t want. It’s worth having a couple of design ideas in your head or scribbled on paper to say “if it’s rural and village setting we want this..” or “if it’s xyz we could have modern” as you may find your plot when you find it dictates the house type to some degree.