kitchen thoughts? listed farmhouse

Trillip

Hi all 

I was wondering what you thought of the kitchen I've roughed up in sketchup?

1590398707_sukitchen.thumb.png.e24b4a9f4a3dcf79ea43f776858cddd0.png

155117640_ikeakitchen.thumb.png.b4214b8dd94fadb0544216c4ddff8f09.png

1658142929_04150907-0815091701.thumb.jpg.7ffea45d9a6507333e23eb05a61ce6b9.jpg

1563231753_09150925-1315093401.thumb.jpg.d5bf4d36995d3fb92dd9361755965c3a.jpg

615458084_14150955-1815094301.thumb.jpg.39256cedff5b0f1d02bd99c39d5b8ca2.jpg

House Plans

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AeXM0u1GiNB9gjbxZ1WcSR_i4F3I_FOb?usp=sharing

The room doesn’t have loads of usable space because of the fireplace and doorways. I'm nervous about a kitchen island taking up too much space as the room is quite narrow.

It's for higher end rental for at least the next 5 years and is about 1 hour from London by train. We're new to all of this! Its an old family home. We might replace the panelling with white plaster and move the door near all the junk to the left to make more room for a table. Not sure about this yet.

# Basic Description

L Shape layout?
    black granite worktop
    light coloured base units, no cupboards (mainly deep drawers, corner pull outs etc) with handles (not handless)
    White metro tile splashback?
    restored oak floor finished with treatex (see examples of what I think the colours might be like attached)
    ventilated induction hob ducted outside behind cabinets (or below?)
    Tall integrated fridge
    Integrated dishwasher
    Single oven?
    Combi microwave oven?

Positioning the table is a bit awkward. I will have to try some cardboard aided design to reassure myself I think.

Anything obviously bad?

What are some good things to have in a kitchen?

I thought the freezer and extra food storage could go in the pantry / utility room nearby.

Could a kitchen trolley thing be good? https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/trolleys-fu005/

I want to use our own kitchen installer. He doesn’t mind where we get the kitchen units but will happily do howdens as that’s what he’s used to. I was planning to use one of the cheapest from the Which’s best kitchens below, probably supplying my own appliances. We will need a seperate granite worktop installer.

Which magazine best suppliers (weight stress testing cabinet drawers, shelves and customer surveys).

Ikea Enhet
    Magnet Factory Assembled
    Magnet iD3
    Homebase Flatpack
    Howdens Joinery Rigid Cabinet
    Homebase Country Living
    John Lewis Cam & Dowel
    John Lewis Glue & Dowel
    Wren Infinity
    Wren Infinity Plus
    Howdens Handleless
    Magnet Simply Ready to Assemble
    Ikea Metod

I am tempted by ikea because they seem simple and upfront with their pricing or someone else (e.g. magnet) and get it assembled. The kitchen installer said he can handle the fact IKEA don’t have rear service voids.

Out of interest, which magazine’s worst kitchens

Wren Vogue
    DIY Kitchens Innova
    Wickes Showroom
    Benchmarx Ready to Fit
    Wickes Ready to Fit

Let me know what you think. I was planning cheap cabinets, good worktop to make it all look good.

colour example 1.jpg

colour example 2.jpg

colour example 3.jpg

colour example 4.jpg

Edited by Trillip
formatting gone mad

• Trillip changed the title to kitchen thoughts? listed farmhouse

Sorry, too much info/too many questions for me! Suggest you break it down into specific topics rather than “tell me everything” 😬 My initial thought is that it is a very interesting room particularly that fireplace! Whatever you do has to ‘answer’ to the other features, either by echoing parts or contrasting them.

Sorry got bored after the first paragraph, as said above break the question down into sections. 

The structure, then layout. 

Kitchen choice is up to you, if you ask ten people you will get multiple answers, we all like different things. 

We can only advise on good practice, not if blue is a nicer colour than green.