plumbing help

hi everyone I'm doing a small extension and have received some great advice here which has been invaluable in managing my small extension !!

I have some questions on the plumbing...hope someone can help.

The first phase is the new extension - the first fix plumber will do the water supply, but who would fit a drain to the external drain gulley - is it the first or second fix plumbing?

Second phase is to strip out a small existing kitchen and change it to a bathroom (drawing attached). After strip out I need to fit and connect drainage for the shower/wc/wash basin/washing machine - question is: who would do this? Will the first fix plumber chase the walls/floor out and fit drainage to the existing drain. Or would I have to get a labourer to do the chasing and then get the first fix plumber to put the drains in? Or would I chase it through the walls, go through the external wall and fit surface pipes on the external wall to the gulley?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

broom 1 plan.jpg

My own understanding would be first fix would have the connections from the sewer main/soil pipe and drains in place through the floor for the loo and water in place ready for second fix guy to literally just connect to them to plumb everything in. You can roughly look at it that everything you won't see when the bathroom is finished is first fix and what you can see is second fix. Also depends on what each plumber wants to do if you are using two different ones. Personally I'd be careful using the labourer as although his/her time is cheaper, you need to be sure they do exactly what the plumber wants, so if you do, make sure they speak to each other.         

• Like 1

Don't forget it'll all be subject to current BRegs so make sure FIRST that your plumber understands the requirements and maybe get them both together to discuss it before hand so you don't end up paying more at the second fix stage rectifying work from the first fix ;)

Sarah, how about using a smoke glass door and hinging it on the other side?  You will use the loo and basin far more frequently than the shower, and having the door open onto the basin and toilet will be a real PITA in use.

Were' building a small ensuite in my son's room in the new house with a similar footprint to this, but a little shallower.  We've got a full width rectangular shower tray with the shower head on the partition wall and the open door forms the shower screen.  That's allowed us to centre the toilet and put the basin in what would be the under-the-window position on your plan.

If you don't like the idea of someone walking into the utility when you are having a shower, simply put a bathroom lock on the utility door.

Also as Nick says, working out the position of the foul water piping should be one of the first things that you finalise, so pick your preferred shower tray and decide the orientation.  You can then position the studwall so that the tray is an exact fit, allowing for fitting / green plasterbooard tolerances.