Hiya all... Looking for some guidance

kiehugh

Hiya all

I have a small 4 bed semi in a village just outside of Dunstable.

Downstairs is amazing, upstairs space has been planned and used badly IMHO. 

Garage was converted prior to me moving in. Previous owners applied for PP to extend, but I believe this was rejected on the grounds it would resemble a terrace. What I can understand is after this the neighbours built the same extension which I don't understand. 

I plan to move in 4/5 so want to explore what I can do to purely add value.   Likely above the old garage and or into the loft 

Are there any good resources\threads on here that could give me and introduction on the journey.

Ta

Hello @kiehugh, welcome.

14 minutes ago, kiehugh said:

I plan to move in 4/5 so want to explore what I can do to purely add value.   Likely above the old garage and or into the loft 

Are there any good resources\threads on here that could give me and introduction on the journey.

Yes, and no.

No,

because we can't 'see'  your property.  Its that concept ...value... thats the most difficult to judge : it's worth is  always judged in the eye of the beholder: a family of 4 (2+2),  or two old folks like me and SWMBO,  our two dogs, one cat a scramble of chickens?

Yes

Could you send us (upload) a sketch plan of your property,  and maybe link to the planning documentation held by your Planning Authority as in  .'.. believe this was rejected ....' :  doing that will help us help you. What we need most is called the Decision Notice. But a simple link to the application will do.

Take a look at this resource: 30 home improvements that aren't worth the money

I bet you anything that some folk on here would love a home gym (specially @pocster cos he needs one 🤨) and my OH would love a mature garden.  

Who are you likely to sell to? Here, there's a high turnover of University staff ( minimal garden maintenance, fast BB, easy parking, easy access to schools) and lots of medical staff at the two hospitals good yearly turn-over of medics - nearly no old fuddy duddies like us two.

What will your likely market appreciate? Talk to an estate agent about that. Gold dust.

For balance here's an article about the things that some authors think are worth it. Pinch or three of salt needed here methinks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Hello @kiehugh, welcome.

Yes, and no.

No,

because we can't 'see'  your property.  Its that concept ...value... thats the most difficult to judge : it's worth is  always judged in the eye of the beholder: a family of 4 (2+2),  or two old folks like me and SWMBO,  our two dogs, one cat a scramble of chickens?

Yes

Could you send us (upload) a sketch plan of your property,  and maybe link to the planning documentation held by your Planning Authority as in  .'.. believe this was rejected ....' :  doing that will help us help you. What we need most is called the Decision Notice. But a simple link to the application will do.

Take a look at this resource: 30 home improvements that aren't worth the money

I bet you anything that some folk on here would love a home gym (specially @pocster cos he needs one 🤨) and my OH would love a mature garden.  

Who are you likely to sell to? Here, there's a high turnover of University staff ( minimal garden maintenance, fast BB, easy parking, easy access to schools) and lots of medical staff at the two hospitals good yearly turn-over of medics - nearly no old fuddy duddies like us two.

What will your likely market appreciate? Talk to an estate agent about that. Gold dust.

For balance here's an article about the things that some authors think are worth it. Pinch or three of salt needed here methinks.

Thanks for the info, this is all new to me. 

So I have managed to find the planning decisions. As I thought, from when I bought the house, the development was rejected. 

http://plantech.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/PLANTECH/DCWebPages/acolnetcgi.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=581876

I have also found the decision for the adjoining property which was allowed a year later. 

http://plantech.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/PLANTECH/DCWebPages/acolnetcgi.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=586389

Thoughts?

Ok, thanks.

Here, abstracted form the  Decision Notices is a simple explanation of why one was refused, and the other accepted. In short, one applicant listened to what the Planner wanted ( advised ) , and the other didn't.

image.thumb.png.429eedd38a760acdb26795911fabebe1.png   

and

image.thumb.png.38b518adacc62050923c0c901fcdff91.png

My (inexpert) advice, make an application and  listen to what the planner suggests. Act on the advice.

Good luck!

Ian

This appears to be your existing layout

image.png.7809766ce39e03fe1b87534c5c308e5f.png

I don't see an easy way to improve that without reducing the number of bedrooms.  The original developer squeezed 4 bedrooms into what should have been a 3 bedroom house. The bathroom should be in the front box room. and bedroom 3 should encompas the wrongly placed bathroom, perhaps turning the old bathroom into a small en-suite.

But as above, re submit planning, and if rejected, appeal.

My (inexpert) advice, make an application and  listen to what the planner suggests. Act on the advice.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it - I knew there was more too it, I just didnt know what to look for.  It feels like they didnt get what they wanted an threw their toys out of the pram.

So whats my next step?  Do I need to make a full application?  Or can I make a query or something?

Edited by kiehugh

On 06/03/2022 at 15:22, ProDave said:

This appears to be your existing layout

image.png.7809766ce39e03fe1b87534c5c308e5f.png

I don't see an easy way to improve that without reducing the number of bedrooms.  The original developer squeezed 4 bedrooms into what should have been a 3 bedroom house. The bathroom should be in the front box room. and bedroom 3 should encompas the wrongly placed bathroom, perhaps turning the old bathroom into a small en-suite.

But as above, re submit planning, and if rejected, appeal.

I couldnt agree more, downstairs is amazing now I have opened it up.

But upstairs I have one good rooms, an office and 2 small rooms.