Airtight layer location?

DragsterDriver

54 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I wanted some kind of barrier to reduce off-gassing from the PIR in to the house

What on earth is that all about?  The only time I have had any issues with PIR is inhaling the dust when cutting and installing.  I find Rockwool even worse.

The Intello does have a reassuring aesthetic though...

41 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

What on earth is that all about?  The only time I have had any issues with PIR is inhaling the dust when cutting and installing.  I find Rockwool even worse.

the release of chemicals from the insulation over time.

top hit from google.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/what-is-off-gassing

I'm probably completely paranoid though!

48 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

No mention of insulation in the link.

no. hence the 'I'm probably completely paranoid' statement! I don't know if PIR off-gasses harmful chemicals and so I wanted to put a separate VCL in place rather than just tape the PIR just in case.

I've done lots of things in my build 'just in case'. I'm sure it's added a sh!t load of cost to the build but better safe than sorry! 🙂 

my apologies to @DragsterDriver for hijacking the thread but I have another question about this as I work through doing the work.

I have put up battens over the AVCL and all is good....apart from the fact that the wall feels 'squidgy' due to the PIR not being solid. this is probably expected. but I'm wondering if I should've covered the AVCL with OSB before battening to give a more solid base for the battens to rest on?

Another thought I had was that with 25mm deep battens and 12.5mm plasterboard there is only 35mm for fixing things to the walls using plasterboard plugs. is that enough is what I was wondering or am I running the risk of, down the line, puncturing the AVCL when I attach things to the walls? so I could, in theory, add 11mm OSB to the front of the battens and then plasterboard directly on to that to give more room for fixings?

obviously, OSB in either position is going to add substantial cost to the build so I wonder what others have done that have PIR internally to the TF studs.

IMG_2654.jpeg.d63bf209670f1cad598e67e77a897c16.jpeg

I've got this far in one room so still not too much effort to take the battens down, tape up the holes and start again!

• Like 1