Decentralised MVHR

2 hours ago, HelenS said:

Does anyone have any experience of installing a decentralised system into a Victorian house newly insulated with a loft conversion. Logistically an MVHR is proving difficult to design. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Hello @HelenS, and welcome.

I can't help with the decentralised MVHR, but just taking a step back, are you renovating to a level where there is a benefit from Heat Recovery? ie. planning to get at least below 5m³/m².h @50Pa infiltration rate, and ideally below 3m³/m².h

MVHR can be over-sold, and really only comes in to its own when you are sufficiently air tight that mechanical ventilation is required for good air quality.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2022 at 15:06, IanR said:

Hello @HelenS, and welcome.

I can't help with the decentralised MVHR, but just taking a step back, are you renovating to a level where there is a benefit from Heat Recovery? ie. planning to get at least below 5m³/m².h @50Pa infiltration rate, and ideally below 3m³/m².h

MVHR can be over-sold, and really only comes in to its own when you are sufficiently air tight that mechanical ventilation is required for good air quality.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

so, Victorian mid terrace, nocked back to brick, rendered and the blowerproof aplied to create the envelope internally. Insulated internally with 100mm pir, this brings I value down to about 0.18. Replacement double glazed windows, not the ones I wanted but they are considerable better than what is already there and due to budget limitations. They will have a u value of approx 1.4. I want lower but that’s what the budget will allow. No trickle vents on windows (yay) but for building control to sign off, bathrooms and kitchen need appropriate ventilation. I don’t want the regular as they let so much cold air in and allow heat to escape. I have 3 bathrooms, and 1 kitchen. House is 175m2 area of whole house. If I were able to ventilate with a full MVHR unit, then they recon i would require something like the zehnder q350.so, I was thinking about a system that allows me to install ventilation into the wet areas, and monitor the air quality after then, and if required I can then fit further units into habitable rooms afterwards if required. That’s my thoughts, but fully open to other suggestions at this point. 

thanks,

helen