Velux manual vs electric vs solar

SuperPav

Just finalising the order for veluxes (upstairs is room in roof, eaves height 2.1m ridge ~3.6m). All would be too high up to reach without a pole for manual opening... but the dilemma is whether we'll ever need to open them.

The main velux in the hall above the stairs void will be opening, so just need to decide whether solar or electric is best/easiest? Price difference is virtually insignificant. We'd want this to be openable for summer stack ventilation if it's very hot in the house so this one is definitely NOT manual.

The other two rooms are the main bathroom, and an en-suite. These are the ones we're not sure whether to bother getting manual or electric/solar? We will have MVHR, so I don't anticipate us opening them up much, and given that they are in two ends of the house as bathrooms, not sure that the additional ventilation is particularly important for cooling?

The 3 windows in the bathrooms would be ~£600 saving if we went for manual, which could really help at the moment, but can anybody see any reason to want opening ones? I suppose the solar kits can always be used to retrofit?

Thanks!

I have a solar in the bathroom (vaulted celing) and it is lovely to be in the bath and have it open.

Definitely prefer the solar over the electric we have elsewhere, for ease of wiring up etc, but a north facing or shaded roof may mean solar would be impractical.

Your best compromise may be to buy manual ones and a Velux opening pole, i think they are about £30 and made for this specific purpose. If you find you are opening them all the time then buy the solar kit and retrofit.

• Like 1