What material should i choose for natural slate tiles

Hi,

I am building a loft conversion on a victorian terraced house in a conservation area.  The council planning officers have requested that natural slate tiles should be used for the roof.  Which seems to look very nice in matte black.

Now my question.  What material should I chose?  Is it worth paying for something fancy?  What are the considerations to be made when choosing natural slate tiles for roofs?

Cheers,

Anthony

I would go for a decent natural slate.  We used Cupa Heavy 3 slates.  Looks good and the roofer likes to use them.  Not that expensive we purchased just prior to brexit, so not sure if prices have changed.

But if you are matching existing slates, talk to a Slater.

I can't recommend highly enough the slates we bought. After lots of research including a phone call to the owner of the company I found out that they come from the same quarries as the CUPA slates but are a LOT cheaper.

They were the Mont Azul Lombeiro slates which are exclusive to Jewsons. I've attached the data sheet I was sent by the guy I spoke to. I had another builders merchant come to site and he was very impressed with the quality of the slates (I believe his words were "Jewsons are on to a winner there") and our roofer said that they were great. needed very little grading as they were very consistent thicknesses.

check them out. I am one happy customer. my next blog will be about our roof so I'll go into more detail and have some photos when that is written.

although, after writing all of that, I notice that you're after more of a matte black slate! doh! 

Lombeiro MA 12 Mont Azul Intro copy 2020.pdf

Edited by Thorfun
  • Like 1