James Hardie cladding total letdown

Mr Punter

For part of the elevations on a new build project, we specified James Hardie Linea cladding and James Hardie Plank cladding, finished in Light Mist - one of their standard colours.

We ordered some in November last year and a bit more in February.  So far we have spent around £13k on the product.  We need about 150 boards to complete and placed our order for these in early March only to be told three weeks later... they have discontinued the colour!

This was now to be some sort of "special order" and our BM would need to source it via a main dealer.  It was due in next week and when my BM called to confirm - SURPRISE!! not now due until June, but that cannot be promised.

Quite why, when we placed the initial order, or any subsequent, we were not told that they were discontinuing the colour I have no idea.

We now face the prospect of buying these in a different colour and having them coated elsewhere, trying to achieve an exact match.  What a ball ache.  I see on their website they are still advertising the colour as current.  What a cowboy attitude to customer service.

Sorry to hear that - plenty to worry about without a supplier letting you down.

If of any use, I used Cembrit Cembonit for our soffits and fascias. This was after getting samples for three products:

Cembonit - lovely finish and colours. Self-coloured all the way through, so cut edges do not need treatment

Marley Pictura - wide colour range and but very expensive. Cut edges need to be treated.

Hardie Panel - not a nice finish, looked quite cheap compared to others. I think was cheapest, memory fading...

Marley and Cembrit have limited suppliers, through fabricators (prices were for cut to size) rather than whole sheets. I manged to find a Cembrit fabricator at a sensible price for the smallish quantity I needed - pm if you want to go this route.