VCL Question on Leaks

steveoelliott

Hi Folks,

After reading other posts on here about the VCL which is clearly critical in modern construction, one question I did have is whether the presence of a properly installed VCL would in fact mask a leak in the roofing membrane by channeling water down the walls.

I speak from some experience having had my previous membrane leak and the visible evidence was blown plaster on one of the external walls, with water tracking back from the wall across the ceiling. As it was a parapet wall, the copings were suspected of allowing water ingress prior to the membrane being brought into question. After the cavity below was found to be dry, the membrane was pulled up and low and behold, it had been leaking due to a failed weld to an upstand.

Just curiosity really...

Thanks.

Edited by steveoelliott

Yes, I was mindful of the possibility that the VCL might well completely hide the consequences of any problem I might have with my flat roof - or at least make it more difficult to work out the source of any leak. With the former I could well imagine you might get years of ignorant bliss with such a situation! 

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1