Replacement TRVs

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

So while we are happily engaged with our new build the current place is falling to pieces around us. One of the things I have been meaning to do for many years is to replace the knackered 30year old TRVs on the radiators. the are Danfoss units marked with "Danfoss Thermostat" and no other identifying marks. I think these are Danfoss RA-V or RA-VL units. Can anyone confirm this and whether suitable replacements exist ?

IMG_0132 (1).JPG

Are they captive olive valve bodies ( a male nut on the copper rather than a female?

a couple of pics of the valve body would help, in particular where the copper pipe enters it. I take it you're going to change the whole valve rather than just the heads?

Guest Alphonsox

I was hoping I could get away with changing just the heads and leave the valve body alone, or possibly change the heads and glands.

Operation 'can o worms' springs to mind. 

I'd walk away from that job as it's just not going to be time / cost effective. 

Try contacting them directly and see if there is an overhaul kit, but when I can buy a complete valve for £7-8 you can see why there may be a mixed response. ;)

Guest Alphonsox

Finally got a photo.....

It looks to me like the valve is a non-standard size - probably 3/4". Any idea if these are still available ?

valve.jpg

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pegler-yorkshire-belmont-iii-vb1290-3-trv-body-686033?gclid=CNKDwIPrhM0CFRG3GwodTW8Lpg

That's one. Danfoss do some too, I'll have a dig later. Be aware that the ones you have are directional. Do you have a Combi or the original boiler ( that would match the age of the valves ) and yup, they're the captive olive type so are a bit of a pita to replace directly. 

Guest Alphonsox

Thanks for the link Nick, We still have the original oil boiler - well original in the same way as Trigger's Broom was original.

This is looking like it could well exceed the "too much hassle" threshold, the system just about works. That may have to do for now :)

Guest Alphonsox
5 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

When in doubt, sit back and have a beer

I've been doing that for the last 5 years - Luckily Nick has confirmed this was the right approach.