Recommended floor build up…

matthyde83

We’re going with a traditional slab but I’m discussing the exact build up with my SE and wondered peoples opinions on best and most efficient…

So assuming UFH would you go slab, insulation, screed or insulation and slab only with UFH in the slab etc?  Is it better to have a thin chemical screed for faster heat up?

We have predetermined FFL so I need to get the build up right to work out how far to dig down. 

Keep it simple - compacted hardcore, slab to engineer's spec, DPM, at least 150mm PIR, UFH, and either 50mm liquid screed or 100mm sand and cement. We originally went for the latter but changed to 200mm insulation and 50mm liquid screed at the last minute - had extra insualtion and works out cheaper by about £4/m²

31 minutes ago, Conor said:

Keep it simple - compacted hardcore, slab to engineer's spec, DPM, at least 150mm PIR, UFH, and either 50mm liquid screed or 100mm sand and cement. We originally went for the latter but changed to 200mm insulation and 50mm liquid screed at the last minute - had extra insualtion and works out cheaper by about £4/m²

So 50mm liquid screed plus extra insulation worked out cheaper than a sand and cement screed?  That's interesting.  It's where my head was going too tbh.  The Architect, SAP and SE are going standard building regs with 150mm insulation and I'm trying to work out best way of increasing it i.e. do I reduce screed or just dig deeper.  Sounds like a chemical screed works well for you.  Plus cashflow is king so pushing the insulation back to after we have a superstructure helps!

8 minutes ago, matthyde83 said:

So 50mm liquid screed plus extra insulation worked out cheaper than a sand and cement screed?  That's interesting.  It's where my head was going too tbh.  The Architect, SAP and SE are going standard building regs with 150mm insulation and I'm trying to work out best way of increasing it i.e. do I reduce screed or just dig deeper.  Sounds like a chemical screed works well for you.  Plus cashflow is king so pushing the insulation back to after we have a superstructure helps!

It only worked out cheaper as I had enough extra 50mm EPS available as we decided to use TLA on the upper floors after it was bought. The liquid screed at 50mm is £13.50m² and 100mm sand and cement is £17m²

17 minutes ago, Conor said:

It only worked out cheaper as I had enough extra 50mm EPS available as we decided to use TLA on the upper floors after it was bought. The liquid screed at 50mm is £13.50m² and 100mm sand and cement is £17m²

Ok thanks. 
+ 50mm less digging and take away!

1 minute ago, Conor said:

Actually, just looked at the quote again and the screed is £15/m². Still a bit cheaper. But more importantly faster drying time.

that's a good price. the quote for ours comes in at about £19/m². but we are in SE England where prices are inflated!