Hello from Cornwall

Si3

Hi Everyone,

I'm Simon, my wife and I are about to start building a new build that is replacing an old barn on my family farm, in Cornwall. Its been a long road to get the planning but will be starting the build in April, so pretty exited right now. I will be working with my builder who will helping me project mange the build. its going to be timber framed blocked then clad.

I am currently researching some initial bits, and if anyone has used similar materials it would be great to pick your brains.

• Timber cladding will be black, so just trying to decide what timber to use, do we paint the timber or look at Shou Sugi Ban?
  • Roof and some walls will be clad in metal corrugated sheets to keep the agricultural look. Having grown up on the farm I have noticed on  the other buildings sheets have faded and gone a bit milky, so hoping there are sheets out there now that can avoid this?
  • Windows - looking at aluminium but aware quotes can vary massively so if anyone has worked some good manufacturers and installers that are reasonable it would be great to know!!

Finally if there is anyone in Cornwall who has built similar and wouldn't mind me coming and having a nose around I would be most grateful!!!

Thanks 

Screenshot 2022-01-12 18.25.02.png

Edited by Si3

Best thing to do is drive around and see what exterior finishes people have used. If you like them, then find out what they used.

Cornwall is a long county, or country, and it will depend what your micro climate is like as to how finishes weather.

My house gets battered by the south westerlies, then baked in the few sunny days we get. Even the concrete render is showing its age.

On 12/01/2022 at 18:39, Si3 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm Simon, my wife and I are about to start building a new build that is replacing an old barn on my family farm, in Cornwall. Its been a long road to get the planning but will be starting the build in April, so pretty exited right now. I will be working with my builder who will helping me project mange the build. its going to be timber framed blocked then clad.

I am currently researching some initial bits, and if anyone has used similar materials it would be great to pick your brains.

• Timber cladding will be black, so just trying to decide what timber to use, do we paint the timber or look at Shou Sugi Ban?
  • Roof and some walls will be clad in metal corrugated sheets to keep the agricultural look. Having grown up on the farm I have noticed on  the other buildings sheets have faded and gone a bit milky, so hoping there are sheets out there now that can avoid this?
  • Windows - looking at aluminium but aware quotes can vary massively so if anyone has worked some good manufacturers and installers that are reasonable it would be great to know!!

Finally if there is anyone in Cornwall who has built similar and wouldn't mind me coming and having a nose around I would be most grateful!!!

Thanks 

Screenshot 2022-01-12 18.25.02.png

Hello. I am embarking on conversion of 1960 bungalow hopefully to near passivhaus standard, while living in my granny flat in LISKEARD, which has box 2 layer profile roof separated by 100mm celotex insulation, which the roofers bought from CLADCO.

Just finishing a timber house new build in a wood in Looe cornwall, feel free to come round. Top half is clad in ceder bottom in that burnt Japanese thing you mentioned ? sourced from bond timber btw. Oh and aluminium windows as well

Hi Si, we're living in our 8-year-old new-build eco-house in Wadebridge. We haven't used the finishes you are planning, mostly Doug Fir from Duchy and Red Cedar shingles from John Brash. But you might be interested in coming to meet, as I can talk you through some of our details and building structure decisions to get to £33 a year space heating [albeit will be more this year with crazy elec prices]. BTW, we have got Planning on our next project, a barn conversion [with new-build extension] in North Cornwall. I also need to source some charred or similar black timber for a friend's project nearby.

Looking at your architect's drawings...If you're going for slim-sight-line sliding doors, you may have little choice ref Frame in Aluminium. However, I'd recommend you look very carefully at the Whole Window u-values when you get door and window quotes [the Uw figure, not the Ug figure for the glazing alone]. The Uw figures for Aluminium frame windows that I saw recently were appalling due to the poor Uf rating of the frame, and I'm certain will result in condensation on the inside of the frames [not the glass itself which is ok]. With your modern thin-frame window designs it may be less of an issue? Generally lower, better Uw with the timber windows with Alu facing so beloved of architecture magazines. And with your large glazing areas, triple glazing will cut down significantly on the draughts across the floor in winter [reducing the temptation to turn the heating up higher to compensate], worth getting a quote for [the cost of Triple v Double seems to vary, can be very little]