Lowering a (roof) ceiling

Hi folks.

Making progress on our project and within the next few months I'll be looking to tackle dropping the ceiling of our first floor. We're lowering all floors. The ground floor has been dropped by 300mm and ground bearing slab with Wet UFH going in. The intermediate floor is dropping to match. We have some big steels going in upstairs below the current roof joists in order to support the roof given some structural changes being made.

We're possibly going to leave some of the steel exposed but in either case I want to use some of the 300mm drop to drop the first floor ceiling (roof) by 100mm and then put 3 x 100mm layers of insulation, 1 in the new space, 1 in the original 100mm joist space and then 100mm above the current roof joists. We don't plan on using the loft beyond storage so don't need head height for habitat space.

To my question.

We aren't going to lower the ceiling/roof joists. The are sound and in the correct place. 

I was thinking more of a false ceiling below. That being 100mm timbers fixed below those joists to plaster board across. Then, 100mm timbers above the joists to board out some space for storage. Whole thing creating a 300mm space for insulation. 

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

If this is somewhat sensible, my question was about fixing. Fixing timber below and above felt like it could compromise the joists structure if not done properly. So I was thinking fixing plates alternate sides that hold the timber below and the timber above in place. Am I making stuff up - is that a good / standard way of doing it or is there a much better way?

Hope my description and question makes sense.

cheers,

-Dean

Have certainly considered that - that was my starting point. Way simpler.

But - I'm not sure I want to show the full depth of some of these steels going in. I like the idea (on paper) of exposing them - like the contemporary version of beams in an old Tudor house - but wanted to maybe hint and not make it look like the inside of a battleship.

Other thing is that I was trying to think through the airtightness problem sooner than later and not put something in place that I then had to change later on. 

But yes, certainly the easy option and maybe I should just stop at that....

But if I were to put 100mm below current, what is the best way of mounting those timbers, the plaster board and making that the airtight ceiling layer?