Choosing internal doors (inc French doors)

Crofter

I'm going to start framing my partitions this week so have to make the final decision on door sizes.

Thanks to my last minute change of layout, I now only have three to worry about.

First up is the door into the cupboard. I could go for a single here but would prefer double for easier access. So looking at standard sizes it appears 2x450 or 2x610 or thereabouts. Don't really want this door to work out larger than the bedroom door which is on the same wall.

Secondly, the French doors into the bedroom. Width negotiable, but thinking around 1200-1300 wide, any wider loses me wall space for the bedroom furniture. These need to look the part as they will be very prominent in the house.

Third, the door to the en-suite- nothing fancy about this one.

Obviously I need to get a range that matches. Need a reasonably up-market finish so avoiding white or softwood finishes.

I've installed a French door set from Wickes before and really wasn't that impressed by the quality- veneer delaminating and a few other issues.

I guess the easy option is Jeld-Wen as that is no doubt stocked by by local BMs (Jewson, Rembrand, Howdens). I've heard less than glowing reports about their windows so wondering if I should consider anything else?

I need to make the decision ASAP so I know the sizes, but I could put off the actual purchase for a while, if it's worth looking elsewhere.

There are various nice oak and walnut doors available at reasonable prices, £150ish a door. I also found Todd Doors doing solid oak doors for less than £100 which is a great price.

I plan to use JB Kind Mistral Walnut, Oak is also available. LPD Vancouver are similar. LPD Porto is a nice door but the smallest width is 610mm. I think these hardwood flush with maybe some grooves or shaker style doors represent the best value for money. One thing I found when choosing doors was it was hard to find ranges available in all the sizes I need, I am using metric sizes as they are taller, but they seem harder to get.

This place gets good reviews and has some incredibly reasonably price solid oak doors, but I haven't seen them.

https://www.todd-doors.co.uk/internal-oak-doors#/pageSize=30&viewMode=grid&orderBy=10&pageNumber=1

I have very nice oak look doors at the moment, but they are two panel with raised mouldings and they have more parts so are more prone to issues with delaminating, loose mouldings etc. They also gather more dust.

A 2x610 bedroom door would look nice, but how would you work it, if you keep 1 door locked in place, 610mm is an uncomfortably narrow door to use in my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks for that link- I wonder what they will charge me for delivery though...

Anybody got experience of doors from B&Q, TP, etc? If I go through to Inverness I would have a few more options. Or maybe it will just be Jeldwen everywhere.

@AliG that's a good point about the size of the double doors. I might find in practise that the doors simply stay open most of the time, in which case smaller doors are better as they would intrude into the room less. The French door I fitted in my last house was only 1200 wide and we got on fine using one half of that, but then again I am pretty skinny.