Question on UFH on first floor

SDUGoten

I am new to the UFH installation.  I am planning to install UFH on both ground floor and 1st floor.  The boiler is on the ground floor in the kitchen.  If I decide to have two manifold for the UFH, I wonder how the manifold on the 1st floor connect to the boiler?  Would the manifold connect to one of the radiator on the 1st floor?  Or it's a lot more complicate than this?  thanks.

Edited by SDUGoten

@SDUGoten

I have recently installed UFH on the first floor with the ground floor to follow when I get round to refurbing that area.

The flow and return to the manifold come off my buffer vessel.

When the ground floor gets done, I'll tee into this flow and return and go to the downstairs manifold.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, vala said:

@SDUGoten

I have recently installed UFH on the first floor with the ground floor to follow when I get round to refurbing that area.

The flow and return to the manifold come off my buffer vessel.

When the ground floor gets done, I'll tee into this flow and return and go to the downstairs manifold.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.  However, I am using a combi boiler, which doesn't have a water tank on 1st floor.  I wonder how the manifold on 1st floor would connect to?

On 12/12/2021 at 10:09, SDUGoten said:

Would the manifold connect to one of the radiator on the 1st floor?  Or it's a lot more complicate than this?

More details needed: it sounds like you have mix of rad(s) and UFH.

Apart from plumbing (specifically temperatures and flows in such setup), you need to think how to control it.

Combi is not a big issue here, I use the existing for UFH downstairs and rads upstairs and it is ok.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 10:09, SDUGoten said:

I am new to the UFH installation.  I am planning to install UFH on both ground floor and 1st floor.  The boiler is on the ground floor in the kitchen.  If I decide to have two manifold for the UFH, I wonder how the manifold on the 1st floor connect to the boiler?  Would the manifold connect to one of the radiator on the 1st floor?  Or it's a lot more complicate than this?  thanks.

So I’ll be installing UFH on ground and 1st floor, no rads in the house appart from electric one in bathroom for towel warming

so you’ll need a buffer tank 100% otherwise you’ll essentially reduce the life span of your boiler drastically maybe by like 70/80% due to short cycling, so you go from boiler to buffer tank that’s the boilers loop then from the buffer tank you go into a tee! One of the side goes to upstairs manifold and other side goes to downstairs manifold before going into the manifold you will need a two port valve On both manifolds, and then if you need more on how everything else goes forward can definatley help if you need