Quartz Worktops - all the same?

Conor

We originally had a quote for a mid range Sinquastone worktop for £4500. We've just got a quote from a different supplier for Technistone for £2600 for the same thing.... from the reading they are both 93/7% quartz/resin materials. I can't see why I'd pay almost double for the same thing?! Am I missing something?

We also have a quote for Dekton but no plans to stretch to it.

Usually the more popular brands cost more. Silestone, Cambria, Caesarstone and Compac are more well renowned and are bit dearer. Your situation is funny because technistone is somewhat of an established brand. I have worked with it a lot. Sinquastone just seems like its exclusive to some company called Lamont Stone. Maybe I am wrong but something is wrong. Technistone should be costing more. Whoever is selling Sinquastone may just be too greedy in my opinion. Could be a pushy salesman trying to convince Sinquastone must be godly.

A lot of stonemasonrys these days, also order their own range of quartz from China. It must follow the same legislations and will consist of 93% or so quartz with resin materials. End of they day, the labour remains the same but the quote varies due to material. The average person will not be able to tell what is the brand and name of the worktop. I work for a stonemasonry and we have our own in-house cost effective option. However, we do not push it down anyones throat if they do not like it. Thats why we work with all the suppliers.

Classic Quartz for example is getting popular too. Their products are from China. Great quality too. They adhere to what is right and they seem to market very well too. Even they do not cost that dear. You should go with whoever gave you the Technistone quote.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello! I agree with stoneguy. I have had a Technistone quartz worktop for quite some time now (the one in the link), and I am pretty happy with it. It is resistant and doesn't require a lot of maintanance, at least not compared with my previous worktop, which was made of granite. As far as the price goes, I think £2600 is a pretty decent price, at least in my experience. Hope I helped! Greetings from Brighton :)

In a marble stone yard a guy told me Italian granite I.e expensive is usually from China but machined in Italy just so the premium can be added . If you say “ Italian granite “ you would naturally assume completely from Italy !! - and pay a substantial premium .

Is this true ? Or just a myth ! 😁

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

There is a famous name for alloy rims called Borrani who were an Italian company, unavailable for many years the name reappeared 5 or 6 years ago and the rims were advertised as Made in Italy. After a few quality complaints ref the welded joints, out of round etc it emerged the rims were made in China, sent to Italy and there they drilled the spoke holes in the rim, part number, Borrani and Made in Italy also stamped on the rim. That was deemed enough local content for them to be sold as Made in Italy.  Can't see why that cannot be applied to a worktop finished off in Italy, don't think its right though but my opinion is not worth much other than slowing down sales of Borrani rims to those that listen ;) .  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pocster said:

In a marble stone yard a guy told me Italian granite I.e expensive is usually from China but machined in Italy just so the premium can be added . If you say “ Italian granite “ you would naturally assume completely from Italy !! - and pay a substantial premium .

Well know “USA” cherry picker manufacturer .. “made in USA” … yes the sticker may be but the machines are coming from China, and the factory is also supplying them under their own brand, identical! 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 15:35, markc said:

Well know “USA” cherry picker manufacturer .. “made in USA” … yes the sticker may be but the machines are coming from China, and the factory is also supplying them under their own brand, identical! 

In the 90s there was an urban myth doing the rounds that the Chinese government had named one of its industrial towns "Usa" so they could put stickers on saying you know what....

• Like 2