Construct nib!

Hey all,

Firstly happy Easter!; not too many eggs now ...... xD

Please see plan attachment.My subtle arrow shows a floor 'nib'; but how do I construct this?

There's a steel running parallel to it (can supply photo if that helps). But how do I build this self supporting bit of floor???

Also; opinions please. The architect has the bathroom door opening into the hallway and potentially someone's face as they leave the bathroom.

Surely the bathroom door should open inwards? i.e. into the room. Or is there a potential reason he designed it like this that I am missing???

Thanks all!!

upload.jpg

Edited by pocster

Not sure about the "nib".  The bathroom door is possibly to meet the requirements of Part M, specifically wheelchair access from the entrance level to the WC on that level.  Our downstairs WC has an outward opening door for the same reason, as it avoids having to make the space larger to accommodate the requirement to be able to get a wheelchair in and close the door.

29 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Not sure about the "nib".  The bathroom door is possibly to meet the requirements of Part M, specifically wheelchair access from the entrance level to the WC on that level.  Our downstairs WC has an outward opening door for the same reason, as it avoids having to make the space larger to accommodate the requirement to be able to get a wheelchair in and close the door.

Ok!. But if it opened inwards would the opening width not be the same???

By the drawing I would *assume* with a door inwards you could still get a wheelchair in.

If I do change this am I likely to get in trouble from BCO?????

Best check the space available in the bathroom after taking away the door swept area.  The required spaces are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/506503/BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

Note that the regs also normally require an outward opening door.

Edited by JSHarris

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Best check the space available in the bathroom after taking away the door swept area.  The required spaces are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/506503/BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

Note that the regs also normally require an outward opening door.

Crumbs!; there's some reading there!. Thanks for that!. I do see that the door usually opens outwards .... straight into the face of the occupant leaving the bedroom!

Though I could integrate a sliding i.e. expensive door for the bathroom.......

42 minutes ago, pocster said:

Crumbs!; there's some reading there!. Thanks for that!. I do see that the door usually opens outwards .... straight into the face of the occupant leaving the bedroom!

Though I could integrate a sliding i.e. expensive door for the bathroom.......

It's worth asking your Building Inspector first as they have the authority to allow variations to the requirements laid out in the Approved Documents

2 hours ago, Ian said:

It's worth asking your Building Inspector first as they have the authority to allow variations to the requirements laid out in the Approved Documents

OK; I will - thanks

Now guys!; this Nib!!!  o.O

Edited by pocster

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The point of the outward door is also if the wheelchair user becomes unseated or whatever the door will not be obstructed and can be opened from outside.

Yeah could be. It is quite bizarre though that a wheelchair'd person could enter the property and use the bathroom but couldn't get down the stairs anyway to the kitchen!. I appreciate this door design in say a bungalow . We will probably go for a pocket door - solves all the issues.

Edited by pocster

You're right, it is bizarre, as the regs seem to be heavily focussed on allowing a wheelchair user to get from the car parking area, into the house as far as the entrance floor WC, but don't stop you having stairs to any other room! 

I've never really got my head around how they came up with this stipulation.  We have an arrangement whereby there is a gently ramped path around the house to the back door, with that door being Part M compliant, and which leads to the utility room and WC (with an outward opening door).  Our front door access isn't Part M compliant, as we have steps that don't comply, but that doesn't matter because the back door can be used by a wheelchair user.  As it happens, I fitted 33" wide doors everywhere, with flush thresholds, so the whole ground floor is wheelchair accessible, but that's really just because we have a friend who's a wheelchair user.