Widening internal door linings?

climbinggeorge

Trying to get this straight in my head before calling back the carpenter.
We have 2040x826mm fire doors downstairs, we have just boarded and plastered them in place, the photo is from a few days ago.

The spacing in the studwork is 910mm

The door linings (supplied by me) are 42mm

This should leave space for an 826mm wide door, the fireproof strips are within the door frame not the actual door.

However after packing out (and foam filled by oblivious me) there is now only around 800mm space.
The official guide to the doors suggest they can be trimmed by 3mm each side which means I have another 20mm or so to find.

I think the way forward is to carefully cut this into the lining until the door can fit, have I missed anything or is this the logical step? Or is this normal and when I ask the carpenter about hanging the doors he would do this as a normal step.

NB These are metric doors, the next size down is 726mm and we've already bought the doors so I'd really like to make them fit

doorwidths.jpg

No you need to take the liners out of the wall and start again.  826+42+42 =910 so it will just fit with the liners tight to the frame with no spacers, and that hopes the frame is square and true.

When I fitted mine, i made a gauge just by cutting a spare bit of wood to 826mm long and ensured that fitted between the two sides of the door liner.

yep rip that lot out and maybe use mdf liner to give more room. They also look better without all the knots.

pointless foaming also, save your cash.

Could that mess hanging out the ceiling not be moved into the stud by moving it forward a tad and a bit wider ?

Edited by Dave Jones

I filled with foam, cut the foam back then it had the sealant on top and filling in any extra

But for the main issue, it turns out the adage about measuring twice is very relevant.
I think I may have measured between the door jambs I suspect, but on a careful recheck I've actually got 833mm to play with.

A little embarrassing but if that's the only mistake I'll take that