MEV and kitchen extraction

Haylingbilly

I am looking to install an MEV unit with boost function together with PIV. I have seen the discussions on not having separate kitchen extractor with MVHR but for MEV, there is surely no need for a kitchen extractor in addition to the MEV unit as the grease/smells go straight out?

Am I over simplifying it?

With mvhr, you don't a have separate extractor through the wall, as this would depressurise the building and also defeat the balance inlet/extract with heat recovery.

But you would/could have a cooker hood on internal recycle to clean up grease etc, otherwise it ends up in your ventilation ducts.

Do you need both PIV and MEV?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No need to considered MVHR unless the house / home is airtight, most likely newly built and will require MVHR by codes anyway.

MEV for kitchen between 15l/s (4 inch) to 30l/s (6 inch), not sufficient to remove cooking gas anyway.

A recirculation cooking hood would remove some grease but for serious cooking, hopeless in my opinion. Not great for household wellbeing as well.

A discharge to outside hood is still the best option to remove odour and grease. Some people may consider that is non-green and wasteful but I would consider experience and wellbeing are more important factors to consider. Make sure the discharge duct is short, direct and made of good quality materials. The cooking hood extraction volume will be subject to your cooking style.