Delonghi ASHP in Scotland

That would suit me fine I am sure,  but it's too early in my project.

So do I buy it now, or take the gamble that in a year or whatever when I really need it that I will be able to find another at that price?

Got it, thanks.  Obviously someone else clearing out non ERP marked heat pumps.  I've emailed to try and establish what comes with the heat pump in terms of a controller, spares availability etc.

Edited by Stones

Just spoken to the vendor.  These are FIXED speed units rather than inverter controlled.  Control unit is integral to the heat pump itself. 

They are a good price, but I'm struggling to find a way of justifying the installation of a fixed speed unit.  To make it work, I think a reasonable sized buffer would be required.

Taking my house as an example, my heat loss calcs show that I'll need 1.3 kWh heat input at 0C ambient. A 200 litre buffer, assuming a target buffer tank temperature of 35C, and a delta T of 10C, would require 2.2kWh of heat input from the heat pump.  Roughly speaking that would see it running for 20 - 25 minutes then off for an hour then back on. Not ideal compared to an inverter controlled heat pump.

It would be the noise of a fixed speed one that bothers me. I would rather have an inverter driven one ticking over near silently for a long time, rather than a fixed speed one running at full chat for bursts.

That's the biggest issue for me as well, although having to fit a fairly large buffer tank would be a pain I would rather avoid.  I've only ever heard ASHPs working under part load, and they have all been whisper quiet.  

The other concern is how prone are fixed speed units to icing up, compared to an inverter which will just be ticking over and under little stress.  I know from the EAHP I had in my last house (small fixed speed compressor) that it iced up after 45 minutes and required 15 minutes defrosting.  

Just checked and these are Climaveneta units - made by Mitsubishi basically !

I've asked for the manual but they seem pretty reasonable - not sure where I'm going to put it yet...