Fit stepped flashing before all slates are fitted?

I think I have two options:

A - Slate the whole roof then rake out the mortar and fit the lead stepped flashing at the abutment using some foam or PIR sheet as a platform to avoid point loads on the newly laid slate.

B - Fit a strip slates up the abutment 2 slates wide and then fit the stepped flashing while I can still support my weight on the roof battens.

What would a roofing pro do?

I am 6ft tall with a BMI around 25 or 26 = not fat.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I am not a roofing pro but have done this more than a few times!!. Option b would be my choice.

Swmbo will not like that answer, she is expecting to see at least 50 slates fitted by end of day.

It is a small roof just 2m from fascia to ridge so it should be possible to fit the stepped flashing on one side by standing on the staging and then reaching from the ridge kneeling on the untiled side. Think I might push ahead and get one pitch slated and then switch to your suggestion before fully slating the other half of the roof.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A - Slate the whole roof then rake out the mortar and fit the lead stepped flashing at the abutment using some foam or PIR sheet as a platform to avoid point loads on the newly laid slate.

B - Fit a strip slates up the abutment 2 slates wide and then fit the stepped flashing while I can still support my weight on the roof battens.

Don't forget the soakers..

21 hours ago, joe90 said:

I am not a roofing pro but have done this more than a few times!!. Option b would be my choice.

After studying some more videos on how to fit a step flashing I now think it would be best to route out the mortar for the step flashing before fitting any slates because otherwise the soaker upstands will interfere run of the 4" grinder. Was that your experience?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Temp said:

Don't forget the soakers..

I started making soakers yesterday and have watched that video many times.

Even though the video appears comprehensive he still leaves open questions:

1. Head-nail the soaker in place through the slate holes or rely on the "nibbed return" over the top edge of a roofing batten. Most examples I find online rely on simple hook of the nibbed return to keep a soaker in place and on my 30 degree roof I cannot see how the code-4 soakers would wiggle out of place. Mr FixMyRoof says he prefers head nailing but does explain expand on why.
  2. The detail of the first soaker is a bit vague, his diagram shows an extra piece of lead under the first soaker, presumably this directs run-off into the end of the gutter. I shaped a piece of lead for this yesterday and intend to mortar this in place into the brickwork otherwise runoff could get into the brickwork at the end of the at the gutter end or even into the wooden boxed eave below.
  3. He does not illustrate how to finish off the soakers at the ridge, just the step flashing won't provide much cover. I intend to buy one of these custom made saddles to form a continuous junction of the step flashing and lead roll ridge.

https://www.leadworx.co.uk/shop/chimney-flashings/lead-ridge-abutment-saddle/

Ridge-Abutment-510x382.jpg

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

After studying some more videos on how to fit a step flashing I now think it would be best to route out the mortar for the step flashing before fitting any slates because otherwise the soaker upstands will interfere run of the 4" grinder. Was that your experience?

Yes grind it out after battens fitted (so you have somewhere to stand on). Yes I prefer to head nail the soakers, the saddle is difficult to make so buying that one is a good idea.

Edited by joe90

57 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Head-nail the soaker in place through the slate holes

Just read this again, the soakers are supposed to go under the slates as they are laid so nails won’t go through the slate ?. Nail first soaker (at the bottom), first slate on top, second soaker nailed (overlapping the first slate at the bottom but under the second slate). Hope this makes sense?. 

edit. Just watched that vid, I run soakers up to the next batten which has no slate (yet), I was taught this donkeys years ago so not saying it’s right or wrong.

Edited by joe90