Where to link up UFH return to main system

MarkyP

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of plumbing advice. I am re-routing some pipework which was installed hastily and in the wrong place some years ago. By re-routing the pipes I can dramatically shorten the flow and return runs for a UFH circuit d get them out of the way of some other work I am doing. I have a oil fired system which heats a radiator circuit, a UFH circuit and a water cylinder circuit, flow to each circuit is teed off and controlled with  its own motorised valve. The returns join up variously onto a main return to the boiler.

I am trying to decide where to link up the UFH return. I have two options, drop down into a cupboard where the cylinder is located and join up with the return from the cylinder which routes to the main return near the boiler. Or run a return leg to nearer the boiler (means hole through a steel beam) and join to the main return nearer the boiler. 

Does it matter where a circuit links up with the return? I was told it would be fine and just not to link up another circuit with the return before the last radiator (which I am not doing)

thanks

I would avoid linking to the radiator return.  HW return anywhere would be fine.

I had a house once plumbed with the DHW and radiators sharing a common return and that would on occasions warm up a bedroom radiator by convection.  It is a bad idea to share anything else with a radiator return.

• Thanks 1