Underfloor heating in Victorian terraced house

Anthony Crown

Hi,

I am renovating my Victorian terraced house. We are going to replace the suspended floor at ground level with concrete, insulate and install warm water underfloor heating in it. We are going to add a loft and since that will be brand new underfloor heating is a no brainer, but for the existing first floor (which currently has hot water radiators)  I don't know what would be best, should I rip them out and install underfloor heating there too?   We are going to replace the existing floor so having to rip it out is not a complicating factor -- its going anyway.  Would I be wasting my money, or could it make sense?  (We are talking about 2 big bedrooms,   ca 500 square feet).

Cheers,

Makes sense to do it. What fuel are you using to run the "boiler/heat pump" If its a heat pump and you did want to stick with radiators you would have to replace them anyway and they are more expensive. A gas/oil boiler would be ok with existing radiators.

Are you living in the house during the refurbishment?

I don’t think my other half would be keen for me to rip up the first floor flooring to install UFH!

Ideal time to add some MHVR ducts to the ground floor ceiling at the same time!

• 3 weeks later...