Another self build in Cornwall

Susie

We have a large garden plot on the north Cornwall coast, north of Bude very close to Devon. This is our first self build but from reading current posts there are a few of us in the area.  We have taken private pre planning advice and seem hopeful.  Looking around for a local architect next.  We are thinking of going for planning permission with all (most) matters reserved. It’s our long term plan so no rush, not saved up all the money yet and too old for a mortgage but happy to continue saving and planning.  The outline planning permission will give us the push to get saving and hopefully not make me think I’m wasting my time dreaming and reading all the magazines I can. I have joined Cornwall libraries and through them have access to an online magazine service, other councils do this as well, we have one app for books and one for magazines. If I’m not reading gardening magazines I’m reading home building magazines the app allows me to read back copies so read 2018 just about to start 2019. I’m finding it interesting how things have moved on, but also not all companies are still trading, you click a link to a domain for sale or blank page.  

We hope to build a 2 bed bungalow, economic to run but not necessarily passive, currently thinking SIP or ICF, ASHP and SVP.  We have no mains gas but access to water and drainage is ok. We have considered GSHP but not sure we will live long enough to fully reap the original cost over running costs which is quite sobering. 

First step is finding a local friendly architect/planning designer who knows their way around local planning and I’m not going to find that in a national magazine from 2018 so any recommendations welcome. 

Welcome

Ask @joe90, he drew up his own place.

The low energy side is really simple. It is the same as an ordinary house, but with thicker insulation, much, much, better airtightnes, MVHR and a small ASHP.

PV, assuming on roof, is just a matter of optimising the area and angles, and no chimney or pipes that will cause shadows.

and keeping the form factor of the house simple.  I know you said not necessarily passivhaus, but most of them conform to the simple square/rectangle box type which appears to the be the trend and helps it in terms of efficiency.

2 hours ago, Susie said:

We have taken private pre planning advice and seem hopeful.  Looking around for a local architect next.  We are thinking of going for planning permission with all (most) matters reserved. It’s our long term plan so no rush, not saved up all the money yet and too old for a mortgage but happy to continue saving and planning. 

Quite the most sensible approach I've read. Welcome.

You cannot plan in enough detail. Why? Because changing your mind causes all sorts of grief and delay later on. 

Anyway, waste time on BH, and ask away

Ian

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

@Susie, I am very near Bude, can recomend a very good builder (if you can wait), willing to talk or visit about yours, not so dissimilar to mine. ?

Waiting is not a problem @joe90 we don’t expect to start with foundations for 2 to 3 years.  I was up in Hartland the other week and the broadband was down in the whole village, then on the way to Bideford drove past lots of small groups of workers all seemed to be doing something with cables down holes. 

We are currently favouring ICF but as the build is quite a while off yet a lot can change. Once the shell is up we plan to do a lot our selves.