Conflicting information for windows, doors and bifolds for confirming to building regs.

Scoobyrex

This is for a new build in England

I will be fitting the windows and doors myself and paying a fitter for the bifolds (separate to the window supply company).

The quotes I have received vary based on it seems the individual companies understanding of the building regs and PAS24.  As it is ultimately my problem if it is wrong I want to double check what I will order.

My understanding of the current regs, please correct me if I have this wrong.

All external windows and doors must meet PAS24:2012

Windows on first and ground floor need to be toughened glass but NOT laminated if the windows individually lock.

All doors / doorset including bifolds need to met PAS24:2012 and have one pane of laminated glass per glazing unit meeting P2A Security

I have received quotes with everything laminated, and some with none and some as per the above, confusing.

Here’s the bottom line. Not all of your windows and doors on the ground floor must be laminated. Pas24:2012 which has been superseded by 2016 but both are accepted but SBD are no longer accepting 2012.

What does it mean? Ground floor windows should be Pas24 but only if your window is within 400mm of a door, should it be laminated. Otherwise toughened glass is fine. Doors should be Pas24.

First floor windows is different, that is down to whether they are easily accessible or not.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Here’s the bottom line. Not all of your windows and doors on the ground floor must be laminated. Pas24:2012 which has been superseded by 2016 but both are accepted but SBD are no longer accepting 2012.

What does it mean? Ground floor windows should be Pas24 but only if your window is within 400mm of a door, should it be laminated. Otherwise toughened glass is fine. Doors should be Pas24.

First floor windows is different, that is down to whether they are easily accessible or not.

Craig.. thanks for your post.. every day is a school day re first floor windows. Being Scottish based most of the burglers are too incapacitated to reach the first floor! it's the Buckfast effect.

For all Uk wide just make sure you have covered the regs regarding fire escape, it's easy to get caught out here in the excitement of you new home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1