Closed Loop Wind Turbine

pebrey

Hi,
I'm about to renovate the kitchen in our old house, and was considering under floor heating. The current heating system is not compatible with under floor, so electric is looking like the answer. 
However, given the current situation with energy prices, I was wondering if I could buy a home wind turbine and use it directly with the underfloor heating. i.e. everything the turbine generates goes straight to the heating matts. 
Of course, the max rating of the turbine would need to be under the max combined rating of the mats so they don't fry, and for the most part they won't be operating at full whack. They will be complimenting gas boiler / radiators, so it would be a case of "any heat is a bonus".
Anyone done this or seen it done?
Any advice on turbines? some on ebay claim to be 9000w, but look the same size as ones with a fraction of the output?

Advice / comments gratefully received...

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Have you got planning permission for one.

Once you have that, then we can tell you small ones are pointless.

Had a feeling that may be the case.
No planning as yet. TBH I've been all around the houses and all the way up to £30K and back down. We have a good size solar PV system, and I started working on the principle that if it's not sunny it tends to be windy! Then if I put a battery in, the solar will cover most of the energy pull - until we start using it for heating.....then we need wind, but do we need £30K or just extra for heating the one space... and around in circles I go again ?

I worked for a small turbine manufacturer, they made a 5 kW model, cost about £18k 15 years ago. The marketing side wanted to reduce the price, pointed out that if the moving bit was free, they would not get the price much below £12k.

You would be better off getting an EV (assuming you drive an ICE car atm).

Or integrate a heat pump into you PV and save a few kWh there. 

2 hours ago, pebrey said:

Hi,
I'm about to renovate the kitchen in our old house, and was considering under floor heating. The current heating system is not compatible with under floor, so electric is looking like the answer. 
'''

Advice / comments gratefully received...

Welcome to the site.

Shouldn't you be renovating the kitchen in your current house? ?  

Very kind of you, though.

(Runs and hides)

• Like 1

Domestic wind turbines are generally not be to taken seriously, unless you have strong and steady winds nearby in an area controlled by you.

You could do a "for but not with"  in your kitchen provision ie fit the pipes for addition of a heat supply later. (See aircraft carriers and aircraft.)

Fitting an electrical ufh system is questionable wrt solar panels as the heat will come in the summer when you don't need it. IMO direct electrical ufh is a bit of a red herring unless it is eg a bathroom for 1hr in the morning because the boss likes warm feet.

But remember that ufh needs lots of insulation - really you want a floor u value of 0.13 or so. That is 150mm of Celotex or Kingspan. And to fit ducts where you may want to run electrical wires.

For saving electricity bills perhaps a divert device to make sure you get all the solar energy, and something that can supply hot water or for another often available load. I have to think about this as I have a large solar array and no appropriate load.

Cheers

Ferdinand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

That is an interesting problem.

It cuts the electricity usage by half, and gets me about £500 per year FITs, but more is possible.

Hot water probably makes sense. And probably a reversible ashp for the summer.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Sounds like it's not a great option. I have an Eddi device on the horizon for the solar PV. Only trouble is having chartered the gas usage on the hot water alone (through the summer), it's never going to pay for itself - even if it provided the entire hot water. The system we put in has a loop for solar hot water, so I'm thinking I'll go down that route instead. 
For the under-floor sounds like a none starter. A wet system would need the floor digging out as there isn't the clearance on top. And to do the insulation properly would generate approx 40T of soil, with the obvious cost of the insulation / fitting on top. The property is 120 years old, so really doesn't lend itself to being onzone friendly - hence me exploring ways to generate more heat (which I can then lose) for free....

2 hours ago, pebrey said:

Thanks for the pointers guys. Sounds like it's not a great option. I have an Eddi device on the horizon for the solar PV. Only trouble is having chartered the gas usage on the hot water alone (through the summer), it's never going to pay for itself - even if it provided the entire hot water. The system we put in has a loop for solar hot water, so I'm thinking I'll go down that route instead. 
For the under-floor sounds like a none starter. A wet system would need the floor digging out as there isn't the clearance on top. And to do the insulation properly would generate approx 40T of soil, with the obvious cost of the insulation / fitting on top. The property is 120 years old, so really doesn't lend itself to being onzone friendly - hence me exploring ways to generate more heat (which I can then lose) for free....

There are 18mm thick systems, but if you have no space for insulation you are probably better off with large radiators. 

11 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

There are 18mm thick systems, but if you have no space for insulation you are probably better off with large radiators. 

Aerogel?  Been looking at this for the walls - stone - need to breath etc. Went outside for a little cry when I saw the price.... ?

• Like 1